The Laws Of Djing
    Tech Wizard

Default The Laws Of Djing

Hello,
    I got my S2 today and I have been watching youtube mixes for a while and I was wondering if...
    1) if you hear an old song in someones mix, can you make your own with it and still be "chill" (no one gives you crap)

2) Could one use the same songs used in a mix that someone else did?

Thanks,
    I think it would be kind of a cool thread to also have a "Laws of DJing" thread for new people like me, it also just seems like a fun thread to have many people contribute to.

Advise?

you could use the same songs someone else used in your mix, but one of the best parts about DJing is searching for new tunes...

if you are just starting out, you can take a few songs and using a text editor write down how it will be mixed. for instance, write down "start at cue 1, loop 8 bars x2". this helps you learn your songs. then try mixing them without the notes

practice daily and listen to your practice sets when doing small tasks (dishes, cutting grass etc...)

and speaking of laws, you should research copyright laws regarding DJ's and Radio

i don't think you should be using other people's transitions and calling them your own. if you want to practice that way in order to understand djing, fine, but i don't think you should record or play sets of mixes that other people use. it would just feel dirty for me to use all of the tracks another dj used in a set, even if i mixed them together in a different order. to me that's the point of being a dj...be yourself and mix the songs you enjoy in a way you see fit.

now of course you may have some of the same songs as other people if you are playing all the popular tracks, but i wouldn't knowingly pass off others mixes as your own. maybe a nod to your favorite dj once in a while is cool, but try not to make a habit of it or joe rogan will come on stage and yell at you during your own gig making you look like an ass.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Copy somebody else so you can build your confidence. After you are comfortable with the process of mixing tracks together, look for ways to personalize your mixes. It probably took me six months to a year before I felt like I could pimp my own style. As the other posts suggest, never pass off somebody else's work as your own. Bad karma!

Tech Wizard

Well there's nothing inherently against it - but wouldn't you feel way better if you made a mix that someone else felt the way you felt about the mixes you've heard?
    2012 15" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: 2 Tech 1210s + Dicers :: Traktor Kontrol Z2 :: DJM400 :: Traktor Pro 2.6 :: Serato Scratch Live + Serato Video