Music Genre Name Changes?
    Tech Mentor

Default Music Genre Name Changes?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Well, I had been out of the game for a few years. 8 years really, until last year when I bought some CDJ's and started playing mostly techno and minimal.

But since coming back, I have since noticed that my beloved Progressive House has had a name change to Tech-House, and that Progressive house now equates to cheesy, commercial pish-trance. When did this happen?

I guess I shall have to rename my music folders to account for this change. It only really occurred to me the other day when firing through beatport and realised that the entire progressive house section was nonsense. Then whenever I listen to some young DJ's progressive mix, all I hear is some cheesy crap, not the deep, underground bangers I used to play back in the day when I considered myself a progressive house head.

Guess I will have to consider myself a Minimal/Techno/Tech-House head now.

BUT, what do I call my old progressive record collection? Is that still Progressive House? Or is that all Tech-House now? Confused...
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

I wouldn't worry about it... maybe call the old stuff Classic Progressive House? Mostly not worry about it.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just call it whatever works best for your organization style. I thought tribal house disappeared, but its just a bit more tech and lumped in with tech house now.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Tech Mentor

Haha yeah, I have the same issue with my collection. I have thousands of old tracks that had to be reclassified to fit a set today. I put all the Guetta, Alesso, Afrojack etc in a genre called "pop dance" now. So if I ever have to play a cheese fest I have it all together. I keep progressive in progressive house. I'm about to split my deep house collection up too since all the "bass" music is invading deep house charts now. So haven't really decided what to call it. I heard someone call it bourgeois house but no f'ing way I'm calling it that. And I refuse to classify anything as complextro. I've split dubstep into 2 genres as well since the original dubstep has nothing to do with modern dubstep.

Tech Mentor

All the deep underground bangers are stilll there, sadly it's just cheese prog that's the most popular these days and unfortunately took over most of the genre. When it comes to 'underground' at super late after hours it's most filled with tech.