Playing first DVS gig this weekend. Need tips with DJM900 / keyboard mapping
    Tech Mentor

Default Playing first DVS gig this weekend. Need tips with DJM900 / keyboard mapping

So my break from DJing ended about 3 months earlier than I would have hoped and now I have some questions since my last gigs were played with S2 / CDJ and I need advice regards the vinyl and so on.

The venue I will be playing has DJM900 which makes me kinda excited as I don't have to use my A8, but rises some questions. What additional software I would need next to TP 2.5? I won't be having much time with the mixer before the set so would be nice to get everything running as quick as possible.
    Could I switch from the control vinyl to real pieces of wax with a flick of a switch?

I'am going to use the local 1200-s, but how do you set your needles up in the club? Do the whole dealing of floating the tonearm to set the counterweight and so on? Do you have a checklist for the turntables or how do you handle the process?

Regards the keyboard mapping, since it's christmas time, I'm low on money and wont be having any external controllers ex. X1 but would love do to all the dealing with the software with my keyboard.
    Any favourite mappings for a few cues, load, browse and maybe loops?

Also, how I could take my Traktor crates from one computer to another with the beatgrids?

Would love to hear your suggestions about playing with DVS.
    Last edited by vanaema78; 12-18-2012 at 10:58 AM.

Get yourself a traktor keyboard overlay and use the standard mapping from Native Instruments.
    DJM-750 | 2 x Technics 1200 | Audio 10 | Midifighter Classic | Midifighter Twister | Kontrol X1|  MBP 13"

I'll try to answer as many questions as I can.

Be advised I think that only the DJM 900 Nexus is scratch certified.

No additional software is needed. Perhaps drivers of the mixers tho.

"can I switch to real wax?"
    This is real easy with my mixer, it's all about the settings on the mixer's input matrix. There might be a slight pop however when switching settings. So just before your set configure 2 channels for DVS and 2 for real vinyl, that's just what I would do.

Settin' up needles ? Just put em on and calibrate the tonearm (good tutorials on youtube) if the club has a bangin' system be sure to add a bit more weight then normal.
    Checklist ? No, but it's pretty smart to press all the buttons and see if they work, also checking the pitch with the help of the red light is something you should do.

And no need for controllers or keyboards. I do my DVS sets without one, I only drag new tracks in the decks and that 's it.

Why do you need to transfer your traktor crates ? Aren't you bringing your own laptop ?

Tech Mentor

I work with music and beatgrid in my desktop while I play my tunes out with my laptop.
    Thanks MyUsername.

Tech Guru

If the CDJ's are 400s, 900s, or 2000's just use them in HID mode. You need to make sure Traktor is at least 2.5 or higher and you update to the newest firmware for the corresponding CDJ. In either case (timecode or HID) you will need the 900 Nexus set-up utility and driver. If you are using timecode, you need to make sure that when the utility program pops up when you first connect the 900 to ur laptop, that you choose the correct inputs that timecode will be running thru, otherwise it isnt going to work. Lastly, you need Traktor Scratch for timecode