Flying with a controller
    Tech Wizard

Default Flying with a controller

For the holiday season I would like to take my NS6 from one side of Europe to the other side of Europe. As much as I like the machine though, I really don't like it's size. Even if it does beat lugging two turntables, a mixer and a crate of vinyl's around.

Anyway, I was wondering if someone takes his/her controller flying and more importantly how do you do it?

I really don't feel like checking it in and having some luggage handler giving my NS6 to him/herself as x-mas bonus. On the other hand officially it is also too big to take it as hand luggage, although I do think I could persuade KLM to let me take it on board. Which would mean having to haul a heavy piece of hand luggage through three airports and two train stations.

So how do you fly with your controller?

KIO

Put it in a flight case and check it. Really the ink option with a controller as big as the NS6.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Wizard

I just bought a flight case for my xone 92. I know it's smaller then the NS6, but that's the best solution I've got for you ;-) Zomo do really good flight cases, google them.

Tech Wizard

And you're not at all worried about the luggage guy?

That's why they're called flight cases. It really is your only option, I don't think any airline will let you carry it on.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

They don't have enough time to deal with trying to steal from lugage and the chance of getting fired is also a pretty big risk and the chances one of the lugage guys even knowing what an NS6 is, is pretty slim. I'd think your bigger worry should be it getting broken.

scamo
    Skooppa - the revolution is beginning!

You want the best FX jogs on the S4? Then try this mapping!

Our Mixes: Mixcloud - Soundcloud
    Hehe...yeah. We're just beginning.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by DJ KIO View Post
    And you're not at all worried about the luggage guy?
    I don't think this is much of an issue. Musicians are travelling all the time.
    Only time I've heard of anything was Dubfire's laptop being stolen but that while going through security in South America with it as hand luggage. Was gone by the time he'd got from one end to the other.

Tech Mentor

I have a slim S4 flight case that fits as carry on luggage. Trade in your NS6 for the S4.
    or just check it like everyone else said.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I have a slim S4 flight case that fits as carry on luggage. Trade in your NS6 for the S4.
    or just check it like everyone else said.

Do you have the djtechtools bag? Is that allowed as a carry on?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by tricks View Post
    Do you have the djtechtools bag? Is that allowed as a carry on?
    Nope I have an actual hard flight case. It's really slim though and fits perfectly in the thing you can test your bags at the airport before you check in. I've flown to Miami, Vegas, and DC with it so far on southwest and delta so far with no problems checking it.

It's not the gigantic one with the laptop shelf though.