CDJ/Mixer questions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jonham

Default CDJ/Mixer questions

I'll try and be clear about these questions:

1. Was messing around with my friend's CDJ 400s and really liked the WAH effect. Is this effect only limited to the CDJ 400?
    2. The roll effect on the DJM 400 isn't the easiest tool to use, at least for me. Are there any mixers out there where the roll/loop effect work fantastic and are very responsive? I know I need to just practice, but I'd like to know for future upgrades. I really miss the accuracy of looping on the S4.
    3. I really dig filter effects. What are some great, if any, intermediate/affordable mixers with exceptional filtering? Found a Xone 92 for 700, but haven't heard back from the seller, so I'm sure I'll never see that price again for that mixer.

Thanks in advance.

1. I've never used the CDJ-400s, but from what I've read the Wah effect seems to be a Filter sweep from High Pass to Low Pass. Most Pioneer FX mixers (since the DJM-500 I think) can do this with a filter knob (DJM-700 and above) or with an auto-sweeping filter in the beat FX section. Any mixer with a one knob HP/LP filter (most pioneers) or separate HP and LP filters (high end A&H) can do that.
    2. The Roll effect hasn't changed much in pioneer mixers over the years, but BPM detection has improved and the top end models have easier ways of manipulating it. For example, the DJM-900NXS has an x-pad to alter the timing. Some mixers such as the Xone: DB4 have built in loopers sepatated from the FX section, but that's quite a long way outside your budget. Loop rolls can also be accomplished with external FX boxes like the RMX-1000, but your mixer will need a send return loop.
    3. What do you mean by exceptional filtering? Lots of mixers have filters, but I'd say the A&H filters are the only ones I'd call exceptional.

Overall, software is a much more cost-effective option for straight up features. Getting the same features on a hardware mixer without a laptop is a lot more expensive.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

jonham

Hey man. Thanks for responding to my thread. Just wondering if you can recommend a decent mixer I can upgrade to from a DJM 400. I feel very limited with it. I understand software would really benefit me, but I don't want to go that route. I just sold my S4, as I use CDJs when I play in clubs and wanted to better familiarize myself with the CDJ barebones kind of setup.
    Last edited by jonham; 12-19-2012 at 11:23 AM.

Quick reply - The CDJ200 has the WAH effect also.

I'm sure FEP has answered the rest of the post

Tech Mentor

DJM 700/800/850/900 are all decent upgrades from a DJM 400.

If you can afford it, the Allen & Heath DB2 will be an excellent mixer, and and at £1k they are £350 less than a DJM 850. Bargain of the century, and probably more comparable to the 900 in reality.

If your going second hand, then 700/800/etc... will probably be easier to find though. Of course, there are Denon mixers out there that would be great too. Earlier A&H mixers dont really have fx though, if thats what your looking for. But do have the BEST filters out there.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

Pretty much what xs2man said. If you're trying to stay close to a club standard setup, a pioneer mixer is a good choice. Cruise ebay for second hand DJM-800s.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5

jonham

Honestly, all of the suggested mixers are out of my price range. I'm looking for something less than $700. Something with decent sound and some filters.

Xone:42?

Tech Mentor

As FEP said, or save for a more worthwhile upgrade. If its decent sound and decent filters you want, pretty much any Allen & Heath mixer will be the best place to look.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

jonham

Found a Xone 62 brand new for $625. Thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast