New controller (maybe going to the market) - Page 3
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

The brain is the Teensy.

Those square buttons were intended to be used with favorites. I though also on moving those 5 circle buttons to below the cue and play (they're more sensitive than the square ones).

Do you really find so much need on effects? Wouldn't it be better to have it like the Numark I've said?

Tech Mentor

I agree with everyone on the symmetry, I actually prefer asymmetrical cdj/mixer style setups, but on a controller like this all of your spacial reference points are so much smaller and closer together, it would be easier to put the "high traffic" pitch controls on the outside of other controls. I also love the idea of a controller without a crossfader! I use mine so little that I'm thinking of re-purposing it! I think it would be super sleek without the crossfader.

Edit: And I also like the idea of streamlining things, and keeping effects out of the equation! a super slick four channel mixer/transport controller is such a great idea. Maybe not competitive in the scope of the controller market as a whole, but I think it's way cool.
    VCI-100se1.3 & Kontrol F1 & Midi Fighter Classic & Traktor Audio 2 & Pioneer HDJ-1000 & Compaq Presario CQ62
    http://www.facebook.com/DjFrostGiant
    http://www.mixcloud.com/FrostGiant/

I was beginning to think that only thought that this is a good way.
    Eventually as I said I'll do a module for the effects rack. At least that's the idea.

For now the controller is compact, has a nice size if I get there more knobs, switches, buttons, crossfader... I only have two options: cramp it all up or make a bigger controller.

I still have to think which leds are really important, easy to install and kind of a must-have.

I like it. I think if you took everyones suggestion and incorporated it, you would probably end up with a controller identical to most of the ones on the market. However all of these ideas should be considered at least.

my 2 cents - I agree strongly with the pitch faders on either end, and bc it seems like you are indifferent to the idea I'd say go for it.
    also I think it would be cool to have one or two built in USB ports on the back of the unit to allow these modular additions without a usb hub. Also it would work out nicely if you plan to design an FX rack.

good luck! I hope to see a physical mock-up soon
    13" Mbp i7 | TMA-1 | Tech 1200's | RANE TTM-57 | NI Audio 4 | Kontrol S4 | F1 | KrK Rokit 5s

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sendoushi View Post
    Those square buttons were intended to be used with favorites. I though also on moving those 5 circle buttons to below the cue and play (they're more sensitive than the square ones).
    That's cool, my point was on area where those buttons are located.

Do you really find so much need on effects?
    I'm partly controllerist and I like to use advantage of mapping tricks to combine effect with transport controls to create techniques that can improve my DJ performance. So yes for me the effects are essential.

Wouldn't it be better to have it like the Numark I've said?
    Not big fan of that but that's only me, it's more natural to have all knobs sitting at right angle imo. That look like someone is tuning radio

If that was my project I would make expansion controller which can go on side of main unit - something like Livid XPC controllers.

Quote Originally Posted by Emery View Post
    I like it. I think if you took everyones suggestion and incorporated it, you would probably end up with a controller identical to most of the ones on the market. However all of these ideas should be considered at least.

my 2 cents - I agree strongly with the pitch faders on either end, and bc it seems like you are indifferent to the idea I'd say go for it.
    also I think it would be cool to have one or two built in USB ports on the back of the unit to allow these modular additions without a usb hub. Also it would work out nicely if you plan to design an FX rack.

good luck! I hope to see a physical mock-up soon
    Thanks.
    I'll get the pitch faders like you all say then. About the two built in USB ports way ahead of you already thought on that even for lighting for example. I'm going to get a powered USB hub inside. This way it won't need power from the computer and it will be more stable with the inside soundcard for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    That's cool, my point was on area where those buttons are located.

I'm partly controllerist and I like to use advantage of mapping tricks to combine effect with transport controls to create techniques that can improve my DJ performance. So yes for me the effects are essential.

Not big fan of that but that's only me, it's more natural to have all knobs sitting at right angle imo. That look like someone is tuning radio

If that was my project I would make expansion controller which can go on side of main unit - something like Livid XPC controllers.
    On the side? Maybe... maybe... I thought on the top so it doesn't take much space but the future will tell. First the main controller!

Thanks for all the help. Keep doing so. Even if I don't find it a good idea (like the crossfader) It's always good to know what people want and think.

What kind of LED response would you like to have? And what do you think is essential?
    One that I see right away is the change of deck. There should be a LED feedback on that. The other that is essential is the CUE (for the headphones) LEDs.

Thanks.
    I'll get the pitch faders like you all say then. About the two built in USB ports way ahead of you already thought on that even for lighting for example. I'm going to get a powered USB hub inside. This way it won't need power from the computer and it will be more stable with the inside soundcard for example.
    Good! I don't understand why every powered controller doesn't have at least one port in it. Always bothered me and forced me to keep my mobile rig to just 2 controllers (my laptop only has 2 ports) and a separate battery powered light.

seems like you really took your time with designing this and weighed your options. keep it up!
    13" Mbp i7 | TMA-1 | Tech 1200's | RANE TTM-57 | NI Audio 4 | Kontrol S4 | F1 | KrK Rokit 5s

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

On the side? Maybe... maybe... I thought on the top so it doesn't take much space but the future will tell. First the main controller!
    Yes, something like eight knobs and eight buttons fot two FX units control with four additional buttons for maybe banking between all units in Traktor, key adjust or loop sizes. That can pretty well go along with midifighter.

What kind of LED response would you like to have? And what do you think is essential?
    One that I see right away is the change of deck. There should be a LED feedback on that. The other that is essential is the CUE (for the headphones) LEDs.
    Full LED feedback should be supported in best scenario but if that's a bit limiting regards to MIDI brain make sure to have one for basic transport controls, monitor cues, shift, effect triggers, etc... Deck switches should be supported as well. I assume you'll go for A-C and B-D toggles?

Quote Originally Posted by Emery View Post
    Good! I don't understand why every powered controller doesn't have at least one port in it. Always bothered me and forced me to keep my mobile rig to just 2 controllers (my laptop only has 2 ports) and a separate battery powered light.

seems like you really took your time with designing this and weighed your options. keep it up!
    I never understood also. Maybe it's because they don't want to use third party stuff? I don't know. Maybe they just want you tu buy more stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    Yes, something like eight knobs and eight buttons fot two FX units control with four additional buttons for maybe banking between all units in Traktor, key adjust or loop sizes. That can pretty well go along with midifighter.

Full LED feedback should be supported in best scenario but if that's a bit limiting regards to MIDI brain make sure to have one for basic transport controls, monitor cues, shift, effect triggers, etc... Deck switches should be supported as well. I assume you'll go for A-C and B-D toggles?
    Full LED feedback has a problem. Design. The buttons i've selected (which I selected because are easy to find and cheap to be fair) don't have space for an inside LED. I'm still wondering if the arcades one have space to spread the light (I guess so... maybe with some chrome paper inside of it for getting even more light). So since the buttons don't have space for an inside LED I have to get them on the outside and the way to do that is to make small holes on the enclosure on top of the buttons for example. In my point of view that would destroy the design. I've thought on getting LEDs on the faders but for that i'll have to get some nice spacers and use something to not let the LED light spread all over the controller (with black tape i guess). And of course, the MIDI brain would have to have one more multiplexer.

About the toggles A-C B-D... I still don't know. For now I was thinking on using just one of the push buttons. For example, I don't use more decks why would I have a toggle you know? I don't know. A question, I haven't tried but what happens to the pitch with other controllers when you change the deck? It automatically goes to the pitch value from the "old" deck? I don't see a way to avoid that. So when anyone changes the pitch and deck he has to be careful not to screw everything up I guess? ehehe

I know it's a concept but I think you need to do a scale render, just seems odd at the minute.
    The arcade buttons are too big compared to the other controls - also have you checked if you can buy buttons and pots/faders like the ones you have?
    SC | MC

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast