New controller (maybe going to the market) - Page 5
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Pitch fader too small, (what I'm assuming are) play/cue buttons are too large. Pitch fader looks like you could easily knock it when using the mixer or jog wheels.
    The xwax Thread! - The minimal open source DVS for Linux!
    Reddit's /r/DJs! - Another great DJ community!

I just don't really understand the design concept what are you aiming for with this controller? Play and Cue are more like triggers not playable things like Cues or FX, what arcade buttons excel at. Let me know what your trying to achieve.
    Mapping Enthusiast
    S4 | X1 | F1 | MF3D

whats the reason for the number of buttons at the top on each side? a grouping of 5x3 seems kind of a strange number
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Those buttons can come handy for page selectors. Mix>Brows>Tricks...

Stewe kind of answered the question of the buttons. You can use them for what you want or not use them at all.

For those who still saying that cue and play buttons are too big I've already answered to that. Their kind of the size of the Pioneers' ones which I like. I hate the size of the rubber buttons from S4 or VCI and so on. I still think that 3cm isn't really big. Being a trigger doesn't mean it should have something smaller. To start a music on the right point I "beat it" on the cue play and launch it on the play. It's the way i'm used on the cdj and the way i find more appropriate. So 3cm buttons... aren't that big.

I still think that pitch is enough that size. Even if you want to go further on the beatmatching you can always use another button to make the pitch resolution "bigger" or "smaller" (the beauty of midi controllers).

Also it has been answered already that I'll change the place of the pitch with an asymmetry. Jogs aren't intended to be for turntablist and so. I made them more for cue and transport purposes. The controller is more based on pitch bend.

I'm aiming the controller for house, disco, nu-disco, even rock and indie djing.

Ah, the controller is smaller than I though. In which case I think the EQs looks uncomfortable with so little space between them and those pitch faders are definitely useless. I'd replace them with encoders with an LED position indicator if I were you.
    Last edited by MrPopinjay; 12-23-2012 at 08:43 AM.

You talk that as it was just simple to find cheap encoders with LED and get it to work with the brain ehehe. I don't think that the pitch faders like this are useless but I guess I'll just prove you wrong when I build and demo it.

They really really are useless, there's a reason why 100mm pitch faders are an industry standard. And I hope you're not using 8 bit midi for them.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

If you look for quality components check out Livid store. It's nice value!

http://shop.lividinstruments.com/builder.html

MrPopinjay is a standard on normal decks yes and the reason is just one: turntables. They started using the 100mm pitch but if you go for the dual deck standard... things get different. It really depends on what you expect from a pitch and how you use it. When I had CDJs most of the times i just used a lower resolution because you never go over 6% even within 6% you get a bad distortion. So... are they really useless? It really depends on what you expect from a pitch and how you use it.

For me... i see that size as enough and that way I can get a better design on the controller. Still... just making the devil's point. I still don't know if I go with 100mm ones or 50mm. When I buy the 50mm for the mixer faders I'll try to check if they're good for pitch faders or not and if it's comfortable.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast