Best Turntables for Listening - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tech Mentor

A Technics with a different tonearm and an audiophile cartridge
    Some tracks just don't sound right at 33 or 45 and need pitching up or down a little. Hifi audiophile TTs can't do that, generally.

You can spend ridiculous amounts of money on a single TT for little gains over something like a LINN Majik LP12, which is probably the most I'd ever consider spending on a TT even if I had money to burn.
    And don't forget, you need a similar quality amp and speakers to get the most out of the TT.

At home, my father has a clearaudio Champion 2, very happy about it, but that might be out of your budget. Anyway, belt-driven turntables is better for listening, because the belt avoide making vibrations (with a direct drive, you have this problem). Also every tone-arm has his own resonance, you will hear a clear difference between them, test some brands before you buy. I would call a needle the most important part of the turntable. Make sure you choose a needle where not much pressure is needed. You don't have to buy a complete new one. The best you can do is choosing an old but well known and recommended one, you can buy it second-hand.

Make sure all your record are clean. You can bring your records to a store where they clean it for you (cost €0,60/ record), your record will sound better and the crackling noises are mostly gone.
    Last edited by Fango Jett; 12-20-2012 at 04:00 AM.
    DJM-750 | 2 x Technics 1200 | Audio 10 | Midifighter Classic | Midifighter Twister | Kontrol X1|  MBP 13"

Tech Mentor

i just got an audio technica ATLP120 with USB, so far its been great. line and phono out as well as USB. great direct drive. only like 200 bucks or so.
    ~2 X Gemini XL 500II~ I ~Vestax PMC-05 PROII~ I ~Audio 4 DJ~ I ~Traktor Scratch Pro 2~

Tech Mentor

http://www.hificorner.co.uk/linn-lp1...turntable.html

Linn Majik LP12 Prices from £2,700 to £14,500

After more than 30 years the Linn Sondek LP12 turntable remains the performance standard by which all others are judged.

Introduced in 1972, the Sondek LP12 was Linn’s first product and helped demonstrate that the most important element in any quality music system is the source of the music itself.

Launched at a time when amplifiers and loudspeakers were seen as being most critical to the performance of any system, the Sondek LP12 showed that extracting more information from the record itself was the most critical challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie View Post
    Some tracks just don't sound right at 33 or 45 and need pitching up or down a little. Hifi audiophile TTs can't do that, generally.
    I use the Muisc Hall Cruise Control 2.0 Speed Controller to manage slight variations in pitch. Works like a champ!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12