Best Turntables for Listening
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Best Turntables for Listening

Hey All,

Tried to search this, but I'm looking for advice/recommendations for a solid turntable that I'll use strictly for listening to vinyl. I udes to have Technics which I eventually sold (kill me), and being in the vinyl section at any music store makes me want to get back into purchasing/collecting vinyl. Does anyone have any good recommendations on what I should look, or have a trusted resource that I could do some research?

Thanks in advance!

I would say any turntable with a direct-drive. (Not belt driven)

You probably want to be more concerned with the needle, to give you the better sound quality.

Tech Wizard

Thanks. Yeah, I figured direct/belt shouldn't be too much of an issue since it will just be a stationary player...if the 1200s are the standard for djing, is there a standard for turntables that are just for the house/apartment too, or is it all in the needle?

Tech Guru

The sound quality specifically is the needle (and the condition of the vinyl), however turntables can fluctuate in speed when they get to the inner rings causing the tracks to be played faster. It's not usually noticeable, but it can be. Also loud bass/thumps can cause the needle to vibrate and cause audio break up. There is a turntable the avoids both of these issues amazingly well, it's an industry standard, especially with DJs. Three guesses!

Edit: Also I've seen 1210's fall 6 foot onto concrete and apart from some aesthetic damage, and not much at that, they shrugged it off like it was nothing.

I once dropped my novation launch pad about 4 inches, and it broke. I also plugged an LPD8 in, and it broke. Gear of that durability is very rare!

Tech Mentor

I would say any of the range from pro-Ject, rega or as an alternative to either, the Edwards Audio TT1.

Depends on your budget, the Pro-Ject turntables go from £150 to over £1500 (with stylii). The rega from £230 to £1000.

Secondhand, if you can source a Dual or Thorens you'd be laughing.

My dad has a great Rega Planar 2, belt driven but sounds beautiful. i'm not really up on hi-fi equipment, but there is a LOT to be said for the second hand hi-fi market.

Just to reiterate, belt drive is fine for listening.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

+1 Rega Planar
    SC | MC

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    Just to reiterate, belt drive is fine for listening.
    In fact, belt drive are generally considered the best for listening.

This has got to be among the best : http://www.coherent-systems.co.uk/Oracle_Delphi.asp

Of course, £10k might be a little over budget...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

I have a Music Hall MMF-5 and a Jolida JD-9 phono pre-amp. For listening, it sounds really amazing. You can buy the pair for around what was the price of a new Technics 1200. I would consider it a budget audiophile system for vinyl.

You might look at needledoctor.com as a jump-off point for research. Have fun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast