Windows backup software - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I think the backup is taking so long because you are creating a new image of the partitions every time you run the process. Typically, you would image the system drive with the OS, then backup the data drive with your files. Only create a new image after making changes to your system - installing new software or drivers for example.

I would suggest that you image the partition that has the Windows install. Then backup your data every night. Ideally, the software should support differential/incremental feature - only back-up files that have changed since the last backup.

I did a quick internet search and found Backup Maker. You might take a look at the product, it's free for private use. I am sure there are other options, just google "free windows backup software incremental differential". Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Someone has a sense of humor
    The system imaging in Windows 7 and 8 is fine. You can even mount the images if you need to retrieve individual files.

The regular file backup is not so good though, at least for my needs. I prefer to have an exact clone of my data drive - folder structure and all - and Windows backup doesn't give you that.

I do exactly what homeboy33 said. I have an SSD that has Windows and all of my software (except games) on it. Once a month when I install the latest Windows updates, or if I install a bunch of new software, I make a new image of that. As I said in my previous post, it only takes 4˝ minutes with Reflect, and that's making a full image each time, not an incremental/differential image.

All of my personal data and games are stored on my HDD, so I use Cobian to back that up using differential backups and mirroring. That way it will only back up any data that's new or that has changed since the last time the program ran and it never takes long to run. While mirroring is not a safe way to make backups (unless you use safe mirroring), I use it because if I delete something off my HDD, I want it to be deleted automatically from the mirrored drive as well.

For vital data that I absolutely cannot afford to lose, I also keep a backup in the cloud using SkyDrive. An off-site backup is essential really, if you're taking backups seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by LiamC View Post
    Christ, why were they taking so long?
    If you create a full backup it will take a while mate - once you have the 1st done then it is just an incremental backup, so only changed/new items get copied.
    SC | MC

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky H View Post
    If you create a full backup it will take a while mate - once you have the 1st done then it is just an incremental backup, so only changed/new items get copied.
    Right, will have to give it another shot.

I use AOMEI Data Backuper– Free backup and restore software for home and commercial use.
    http://www.aomeitech.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12