How does Ableton Compressor's sidechaining work?
    Tech Wizard

Default How does Ableton Compressor's sidechaining work?

I've been using Ableton Intro for a while and I always come to a situation where I want something sidechained to the kick or an audio signal, but I have no clue how to properly use the sidechain feature on the Ableton compressor. I usually just experiment with it and get that ducking sound everytime the kick plays. The problem is I want to actually understand what I am doing so I have no problem when I have to sidechain elemeents. Can anyone please explain the components of Ableton Compressor when it comes to sidechaining? Such as how the threshold, release, attack, knee, etc. affect the sidechaining. Really appreciate it it.

Tech Mentor

All the parameters you mentioned don't affect the sidechaining itself...

Sidechaining works like normal compression, only that the compressor is triggered by the signal on another channel.

If you generally don't know what threshold, release, attack, knee, etc. you should try to learn more about compression in general.

Tech Wizard

Thanks for replying but I actually do know what they do. I just thought when you use the sidechain option, its meaning changes. Guess I'm wrong. Now I see the compression is normal, but it triggers to the input signal it is routed to. Lots of help

Last edited by padi_04; 12-23-2012 at 10:13 PM.