Need advice purchasing speakers or monitors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need advice purchasing speakers or monitors

I'm looking for a cheap set of active monitors to be used for home DJ setup and perhaps music production in the future.

I play mainly EDM music through a Hercules RMX controller and at the moment I am just using a home hifi system that I have borrowed from my brother which is fine but I find it really heavy on the bass even at low volumes and with bass turned down low. The bass does sound good but I'm not sure the neighbours appreciate it!

I have seen the following active monitors and just wanted an experienced opinion on what I have found;

For £50 reduced from £70/80 I think are these Edifer monitors - http://www.edifier-international.com...io/r1600t-plus

For £70 are these Kurzweil monitors - http://www.whybuynew.co.uk/speakers/...itors-pair.htm

I have also seen the Behringer MS20's and the Numark NPM5's, M-Audio AV30/40 all knocking about in the same price range between £50-£85

Spec wise I can't see much difference between all of them but then again I don't really know what I am looking at? I figure an Active set would be better suited to me than buying a separate Amp with passive speakers too? and is there a notable difference in sound quality between passive and active?

Sorry for the noob-ish questions!

Thanks, Chris

There's no SQ difference between passive and active monitors, but you do tend to get what you pay for. From my experience, whatever you do don't buy the Numark NP-M5s. I had a pair and they were diabolical.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Cheers fullenglishpint, do you have any recommendations?

I am struggling as to what to go for...

We have a pair of M-Audio AV40s that go through hip hop abuse daily. Little 40 watters are loud and sound pretty clean. Going strong for about 3 years now. Nice build quality too.
    Used Record Shopper

Cheers HighTopFade, do you find the bass alright on the AV40's? Most of the reviews I have read for these seem highly positive so they might be a go-er.

I just wanted to know if anyone had used or heard of these; http://www.edifier-international.com...io/r1600t-plus

They have a slightly better frequency response than the AV40's but are only 16w x2 output.

I think the bass is very good for small speakers. I can't see going wrong for the money. If I was in the market for new computer speakers, I'd pick up another pair.
    Used Record Shopper

one thing I learned about speakers -> specs. dont mean ish.

you have the right idea asking for opinions, just thought I'd give you my 2cents.
    I can't say on any of them. I know KRK's are considered overrated, but if you can get them for a good deal, and your mainly djing, not producing (spastically), go for it.
    13" Mbp i7 | TMA-1 | Tech 1200's | RANE TTM-57 | NI Audio 4 | Kontrol S4 | F1 | KrK Rokit 5s

Tech Mentor

I would suggest also getting an external soundcard like an Audio 2, because the internal soundcard of the Hercules sounds like complete garbage. Upgrading would make a world of difference.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

Thanks for your replies, however I think KRK's are a little bit out of my budget!

In response to the Hercules sound card, my friend has the same controller running through a Cambridge AM5 amp and Gale Silver monitors and it sounds quite good given the price of it.

Thanks for the input anyway. When you say Audio 2 soundcard I assume you mean the NI Traktor card?

Chris

Hi, so for £80 new are the M-Audio AV-40's a safe bet?

I have priced up a passive system at Richer Sounds (Gale speakers at 49.99 and Cambridge Audio AM5 amp at 119.99) and it comes to around £170 without speaker stands so over double the cost...

Any ideas, opinions welcome!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast