Young DJ looking for reasonably priced PA system with good low end
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Young DJ looking for reasonably priced PA system with good low end

Hi,

I just turned 18 and am doing a lot of house parties / small club gigs. I play mostly house, dubstep, trap, and hip hop. I don't have a huge income, but I'm looking to get a system that'll really thump in a house party scenario. The only thing is I don't want to worry about blowing it out because I crank it, and the main reason I would do that is because there isn't enough bass. I don't know if this is unrealistic, but maybe you guys could point me in the right direction? I'm just a spring chicken and don't know exactly what I'm doing, but I want to throw really awesome parties. Can someone help me out?

EDIT: I just want to point out, most of my music is pretty much useless without good low end. The build up can sound really epic, but when it finally drops it just disappoints. I have a Mackie Thump TH-12 but I think I blew it out from my birthday party... So would the TH-15 be a better option, or should I ditch Mackie altogether?
    Last edited by zack771; 12-27-2012 at 07:25 PM.

Tech Mentor

Sounds like you definitely need a subwoofer. What is your budget?
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

Tech Wizard

Can I connect 2 PA's and a sub to my Traktor S2? I have about $450 - $500 to spend from birthday / Christmas money.

Tech Convert

I Def recommend a sub... I am currently using 2 TH-15 and 1 SWA-1801 and it thumps! You can def run your th-12
    and 1 sub....i suggest looking on CL for a powered sub sometimes good deals pop up, Just be careful!

Tech Wizard

I'm thinking I'm going to grab a TH-15, you think I can just use one TH-15 for the mids and highs and a sub for most of the low end?

Tech Convert

If anything buy 2 TH-15'S I only use my sub for bigger gigs......just make sure you EQ the 15's tho.... keep the gain knobs in the center and EQ from your S2 that way your not over-driving the speakers

Tech Wizard

Okay awesome. That really helps! Thanks. I think I should have been a little more careful with my TH-12's.... Hopefully I can convince guitar center they're defective!

Tech Convert

GC is usually pretty good as long as its only been a year or sooner, otherwise they are dicks, unless you bought the pro coverage....which imo is only worth it on headphones

Tech Convert

Probably sounds daft but I used to use an old wooden Creative 5.1 system with the front + rear speakers screwed together and the centre channel speaker as a desk monitor. Bass on that is plenty to get house parties shut down by neighbours, but does require careful tweaking of the bass/cuttoff setting in order to avoid a nasty boomy/boxy sound.

Lesson to take from this is that even 4x5w satellites and a 30w sub sound decent and really allow better bass articulation compared to a couple hundred of watts of full range speakers, high quality monitors or not. The fact that the mid range drivers ain't trying to represent sub bass and mid range at the same time gives them far more headroom and clarity, also allows you to crank the bass way further; pretty important for trap.

Long story short: as others have said, get a dedicated sub!

Tech Student

I'm a sound addict so like you i love to have some good low end. My mate just bought a Behringer 1000W dedicated sub :0

Don't know what these cost in the us but have a look at the Elokance - ELO 800C, i like the look of it and with 800W RMS there is plenty to play with...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast