Buying "Mid tier" turntables vs super oems?
    Tech Mentor

Default Buying "Mid tier" turntables vs super oems?

Hey guys, so i've been looking for turntables and while i would love a pair of 2nd hand technics, they are really elusive where i live. Got 2 questions!

1. My question is whether u guys have any "mid tier" turntables from other brands to recommend?
    Do the reloop 4000 or stanton t92 count as mid tier turntables?

Compared to super oem turns such as the stanton st150 and reloop 6000 or vestax pdx 3000.

Or should i just go with super oems? One thing is that if i bought a lower tier turn, it'll be easy to switch over to technics in clubs because of the lower torque. Does that make sense? Also, price wise its cheaper. And other then technics, other turntables will lose some value when resold.

2. Thinking of using my S4 temporarily as my mixer connected to 2 turntables to learn some basic scratching. Is this advisable? Would the S4 xfader hold up to it?

Any thoughts? thanks!
    2 x Technics 1210 / 2 x Stanton ST150 / Shure M44-7 / Kontrol S4 / KRK Rokit 5 / AIAIAI TM-1 / Westone 1 / HP dv6-6105TX

1200'S have been the standard for years...BUT if you are not buying new you most likely will get one with a bad tonearm...either bent, installed incorrectly, or bad rca's... I refurbish 1200s so it doesn't matter to me if they are broke or not. In most cases I can fix them pretty easy.

that being said I have debated getting the vestax pdx3000s... I used to have pdx2000mk1's and the anti-skip tonearm was GREAT...for DVS control vestax/stanton/numark offer better pitch range BUT I like the super pitch knob on the vestax

vestax MIDI is a good option for creativity

as for the S4...I scratch a lot...I tested the S4 one day at GC and the fader response it ok BUT eventually would get worn out...I would use the S4 with the intention of getting an innofader...

keep in mind that if your computer tanks on you there is no other option to get sound to your speakers...which is why I like real mixers and not controllers...the Z2 you can do both
    --> (2) Technics 1200 mk2, (1) Technics 1200 m3d, (1) Technics 1200 mk5, Pioneer DJM-S9, Rokit 5 Monitors, BX8 Monitor, TSP2, SDJ, DJP4M (DjProForMac), 2015 Macbook Pro (Quad Core i7 2.5ghz, 16GB RAM, 2GB AMD-R9, 1GB SSD) <--

Tech Mentor

Are you scratching? I'm of the opinion that if you are not, then most any deck that will hold pitch and has +-8 will work jut fine.

Tech Mentor

Thx for the reply DjLiquitATL! Thats why im wary of getting 2nd hand technics, and while theres a list of what to check b4 buying, theres still the possibility of something going wrong afterwards. The S4 will prolly serve as a temp mixer for now since i alrdy have it. I know u said vestax pdx3000s, how bout the stanton st150s?

HigherFi, i'm no turntablist. But am looking to learn and incorporate scratching into my mixes. I've always personally felt scratching was something that added flair to actually being a dj (kind of separating the beginners, no offense!)and therefore want to learn it. The platters on the S4 seem... hard to learn on.

Will the mid tier turntables be enough? Or should i just go for the super oems straight away?
    2 x Technics 1210 / 2 x Stanton ST150 / Shure M44-7 / Kontrol S4 / KRK Rokit 5 / AIAIAI TM-1 / Westone 1 / HP dv6-6105TX

Maybe I just lack the finesse, but I wasn't able to scratch on a T92. Mixing is ok when you get the timing down. If you have the money, go with the Reloop 6000.
    Used Record Shopper

Tech Guru

you really cant go wrong with st-150s. As good or better than technics if you ask me.

Im in the same boat as you. I got my hands on some old Tech 12's and they work great. The S4 is fine to learn on because a lot of basic scratches and techniques can be learned without a nice fader. (you can adjust the Sharpness of the crossfader within traktor)

I had thought about upgrading the fader to an innofader, but I personally think the S4 is a bit too big for a scratch mixer so Im planning to get a second hand Rane or something, and keep the S4 for mobile gigs. It's personal preference, but I felt like the decks were too far away from each other with the S4 in between.

And yes, the S4 platters are a joke, well all controller jog wheels are a joke (for scratching) and should be left to "jogging around" on a track.

Edit - check out this guys videos. He teaches you a ton about turntablism. everything from getting your decks setup correctly to some pretty advanced scratches. http://www.youtube.com/user/DJAngeloUK

Good luck man, Im sure you will enjoy it! it really makes Djing feel more... real imo
    Last edited by Emery; 12-22-2012 at 10:02 PM.
    13" Mbp i7 | TMA-1 | Tech 1200's | RANE TTM-57 | NI Audio 4 | Kontrol S4 | F1 | KrK Rokit 5s

Quote Originally Posted by Tornesoul View Post
    how bout the stanton st150s?

Will the mid tier turntables be enough? Or should i just go for the super oems straight away?
    i've never used a stanton turntable but if it's ok for qbert and his academy i'd say its good to go...btw, i'll have a vestax 07pro 25th anniversary ready here in about a week but looking at $320 + shipping, i've also got a regular 07pro with a audio 6 installed if you are interested
    --> (2) Technics 1200 mk2, (1) Technics 1200 m3d, (1) Technics 1200 mk5, Pioneer DJM-S9, Rokit 5 Monitors, BX8 Monitor, TSP2, SDJ, DJP4M (DjProForMac), 2015 Macbook Pro (Quad Core i7 2.5ghz, 16GB RAM, 2GB AMD-R9, 1GB SSD) <--

Vestax