traktor 2.6 (flux etc ) on s4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default traktor 2.6 (flux etc ) on s4

hey, i am about buying new traktor setup but i dont know if its better to buy Z2 because of makro knobs, flux mode etc. or S4 because of jog wheels ...
    My setup will be X1,F1, Launchpad and Z2/S4

What would you recommend ?

Banned

In my experience, you will not be taken nearly as seriously by anyone if you don't have jogwheels.

Don't get an S4. The only reason that the S4 is ever a good choice is if you're going to be spinning timecode (because the sound card is scratch certified), but if you're considering the Z2, then this point is moot, because the Z2 is better, and also scratch certified. There are FAR better controllers FAR cheaper than the S4. You can't really remap the S4, and they start falling apart in a month.

my advice would be either:

A: Timecode + the Z2/F1/X1. You can get a pair of used direct-drive stanton/gemini turntables for $200 bucks easy. Or if you're patient, you can find a deal on Technics 1200's for $500. It's impractical for most of us to bring turntables to gigs, so once you've learned this setup, look into HID mode on the pioneer CDJs, and use them if the gig doesn't have Turntables. Bring control CDs to all your gigs just in case they have neither turntables nor pioneer CDJs. It'd cost an extra $200-$500, but besides being fun to play on, setups that let you incorporate CDJs/turntables look very impressive to promoters/other DJs.

B: if you want to stay on straight controllers, look into buying two of the Behringer PL-1. You wouldn't need the kontrol X1 any more, and you'd have high-res jogwheels, all for $300.
    Last edited by whiskeyflip; 12-28-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyflip View Post
    You can't really remap the S4, and they start falling apart in a month.
    Sure you can re map the S4, and it is very solid built, it won't start falling apart in a month unless you treat it like a pair of shoes, and not like a piece of audio equipment.

What will you be mixing? Do you need jogwheels for cueing? Will you just map them for fx? Being as you have a pile of buttons already, go for the z2.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeyflip View Post
    In my experience, you will not be taken nearly as seriously by anyone if you don't have jogwheels.

Don't get an S4. The only reason that the S4 is ever a good choice is if you're going to be spinning timecode (because the sound card is scratch certified), but if you're considering the Z2, then this point is moot, because the Z2 is better, and also scratch certified. There are FAR better controllers FAR cheaper than the S4. You can't really remap the S4, and they start falling apart in a month.

my advice would be either:

A: Timecode + the Z2/F1/X1. You can get a pair of used direct-drive stanton/gemini turntables for $200 bucks easy. Or if you're patient, you can find a deal on Technics 1200's for $500. It's impractical for most of us to bring turntables to gigs, so once you've learned this setup, look into HID mode on the pioneer CDJs, and use them if the gig doesn't have Turntables. Bring control CDs to all your gigs just in case they have neither turntables nor pioneer CDJs. It'd cost an extra $200-$500, but besides being fun to play on, setups that let you incorporate CDJs/turntables look very impressive to promoters/other DJs.

B: if you want to stay on straight controllers, look into buying two of the Behringer PL-1. You wouldn't need the kontrol X1 any more, and you'd have high-res jogwheels, all for $300.
    completely disagreed. the only reason you need jogwheels are to seek through the tracks and set cuepoints where they are needed, since you cannot scratch with wheels of that size. setting cuepoints on your tracks should always be part of your preperation and not happen during your gigs/shows, so you can easily do that at home using your mouse.

and get a very expensive timecode setup just to look impressive is one of the most stupidest things i've ever heard. many respected djs using controllers dont have jogwheels because they are simply not needed.

as for the s4 or z2, you have to decide if you want to stay fully digital or get an external standalone mixer.
    the s4 is a good controller and with an additional x1 you can easily control 4 decks. but also have a look at other 4-channel mixers on the market. i use a xone 92 (pretty expensive i know) with two x1s and am completely happy, but maybe check out others on the market, like xone 42/62, denon dnx 1100/1600 or pioneer.
    i dont like the z2 because it only has two channels, but that depends on how you plan to use your setup.
    Macbook Pro, TP 2.6, 2* Kontrol X1, A&H xone:92, NI Maschine, 2* KRK Rokit 5s, Sennheiser HD 25-II
    http://www.mixcloud.com/_volpe/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Volpe View Post
    completely disagreed. the only reason you need jogwheels are to seek through the tracks and set cuepoints where they are needed, since you cannot scratch with wheels of that size. setting cuepoints on your tracks should always be part of your preperation and not happen during your gigs/shows, so you can easily do that at home using your mouse.

You have no understanding of beatmatching, I take it. It's a thing. That's why they're on controllers. I use jogwheels in every single set I play to beatmatch things that I couldn't sync if i wanted to.

and get a very expensive timecode setup just to look impressive is one of the most stupidest things i've ever heard. many respected djs using controllers dont have jogwheels because they are simply not needed.
    No, many respected producers are using controllers with no jogwheels. In my experience, very few DJs without jogwheels are getting slots that matter at real events. The DJs playing without jogwheels are pretty much always kids setting up their own events to transition between electrohosue and moombah and trapstep tracks.

Tech Mentor

Yeah i do not beatmatch manually because i do not have the need to do so, i place my beatgrids and cuepoints how i need them while preparing. Its a matter of personal preference.

As for well big djs using controlers, have a look at the contemporary techno scene, you will find lots of djs playing with just controllers, for example: richie hawtin, dubfire, chris liebing, umek to just name a few big ones. Thats the direction i want to go with my sets and my setup. Im not a trap/moombah dj.
    (I'm aware the djs i listed are also producers, but all of the do their sets with traktor, not with ableton like most producers do. Even ean golden now has a setup with just 3 midifighters an an ext. mixer, no jogs)
    Macbook Pro, TP 2.6, 2* Kontrol X1, A&H xone:92, NI Maschine, 2* KRK Rokit 5s, Sennheiser HD 25-II
    http://www.mixcloud.com/_volpe/

thank you for reply i think i will just go with z2 mixer

Banned

Yeah i do not beatmatch manually because i do not have the need to do so, i place my beatgrids and cuepoints how i need them while preparing. Its a matter of personal preference.
    You don't mix out of other DJs...? Or tagteam? And you don't mix tracks that don't have a consistent tempo the entire time? Not having the ability to beatmatch deeply limits you as a DJ.

As for well big djs using controlers, have a look at the contemporary techno scene, you will find lots of djs playing with just controllers, for example: richie hawtin, dubfire, chris liebing, umek to just name a few big ones. Thats the direction i want to go with my sets and my setup. Im not a trap/moombah dj.
    (I'm aware the djs i listed are also producers, but all of the do their sets with traktor, not with ableton like most producers do. Even ean golden now has a setup with just 3 midifighters an an ext. mixer, no jogs)
    The important thing you're missing is that not a single one of those people got famous for DJing. They are all producers, and they're doing live PA with no jogs, they're not really DJing.

In the meta-game, there are two kinds of performers: DJs and live PA artists. The software you're using doesn't matter here, it's what you're seen as.

Traditionally live PA artists have stems, which is why they aren't beatmatching, they're manipulating specific parts of the track. When you're working with flattened tracks, you're DJing, and you need to be beatmatching, or at least fool people into thinking you are, or you won't be taken seriously.

You will not be able to think of a single performer who got famous from DJing other people's flat tracks without jogwheels, that's just how it is.

Bad advice here. Ignore and move on ppl.
    Last edited by smiTTTen; 12-29-2012 at 08:02 PM.
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

Whiskeyflip you have some serious snobbery issues. I've mixed out of other dj's, gone back to back and even tag teamed all without the use of jogwheels. Rocking a dance floor is what gets you taken seriously, how you conduct yourself in the booth is what gets you taken Seriously. NOT what equipment you use. At least not in the UK from my experience.

Why should someone spend money on equipment just to have a feature (ie a jogwheel) that they have no use for. And FYI you DEFINITELY don't need a jogwheel to beatmatch. I held a residency for years where the installed equipment was a cd mixing unit without jogwheels. All I needed to beatmatch perfectly was a pitch fader and tempo buttons. Not once did I not get taken seriously due to the lack of jogwheels. Everyone was too busy busting it on the dance floor to give a shit what I was playing on.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast