Cutting when playing Techno
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cutting when playing Techno

Looking to incorporate some cutting/fast cuts into my mixing, I mix mostly techno and tech house. Anyone know of some good how-to vids or have some advice?
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

Tech Mentor

Just try different things and see what works.. maybe watch some other DJ's like Carl Cox or Toronto's Deko-ze, both are awesome tech house DJ's. I have taken a liking to tech house / techno and found it sounds best when it is layered using 3 or 4 decks. Both are genre's that kind of just "move forward" and don't have many build ups, so you need to create your own "drama", builds etc.

I am no expert at mixing this stuff by any means, but this is what I get out of it.

Hope that helps.

I personally don't think cutting works with techno or tech house. These tracks open themselves up to long blends and multi track layering. But carve out your own style and let your personality show through your mixing techniques.
    A&H Xone 62, 2 x X1's, A6, Sony MDR V-700's

Of course you can do it, but you'll have to be subtle, and not over do it.
    I'd recommend to use some fx on cuts if it's going to be on top of techno or some sort of more "serious" music, some echo synced to the tempo for exemple, to drown the scratching a little bit. As far as videos, well i don't know any for the "cutting to techo", but just like everything else, practice makes it perfect, and mostly, not overdoing it

PS : also don't forget that there is no rule that says that because the music is 130 bpm you shouldn't cut to it half time or like it was 60 bpm.
    macbook pro, technics trntbl, numark pro sm-1, vestax pmc 08 pro, traktor scratch pro 2, akai mpd 24, novation nocturn, vci-100 fw1.4, krk rp5g2 and FBV express mk2

1. Hands In The Air
    2. Slam Fader
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Convert

^^^^^ That is my exact move ....

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    1. Hands In The Air
    2. Slam Fader
    oh yes! oh yes!

Thats pro level dubstep mixing.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

yeah why not?
    Controllerist: Think different | SoundCloud | MixCloud | Twitter |

Pretty much all of my mixing is using loops and long blends, just thought it would be nice to try some new stuff.
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast