Should I buy Macbook Pro or Air in order to perform with Traktor Pro ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Should I buy Macbook Pro or Air in order to perform with Traktor Pro ?

Hey Guys, First Happy New Year

I want to buy a laptop for my performance. I noticed that the specs on Macbook Pro in terms of processor is better but in my price range, I can't get the Solid state drive. But Macbook air also has some decent processing power. Anyone using/used Macbook Air for DJing on the stage and everything went smooth ? Any thoughts ?

Thanks
    Saeid

Ether one will be more than enough for just DJing with, so no worries there. Just comes down to how portable you want to be, and if you'll be using this laptop for anything more CPU-intensive, like producing.

Tech Mentor

I believe the pro has more RAM capacity. I have mine maxxed at 16Gb but I also don't use a SSD. Just too much money for the capacity and I have never had any issues with a standard HDD. Mine's a 2TB drive.

I kind of have a similar question and maybe that will help mannhooei also.

I already have a Macbook Pro but it's also my day time work computer so... I don't want to risk it! I could use this one for production so... the "new" computer will be just and only djing with Traktor. What requirements would I need to have a stable Traktor? I guess since I only want the computer for djing I won't go with Apple. I love macs but it's kind of expensive to just use it for djing.

By the way mannhooei, the best thing to do with mac is get the lower hard drive and the lower ram since you can buy it after and it will be cheaper and sometimes better.

The main difference between Air and Pro is that Air cannot be upgraded later... so with Air what u buy is what u ll have. But looking at the prices and specs it does seem to me that u get a tiny bit more for your buck with Air then with Pro. But Air does not have a cd-rom (not vital but it sucks not to have it when u need it) and probably a few connections less on the side (though all macs could use another usb port etc). And ofc Air is a lot lighter the Pro.

They should both be more the capable of handling a Traktor dj set, so it really comes down to personal preferences.

good luck

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by sendoushi View Post
    I kind of have a similar question and maybe that will help mannhooei also.

I already have a Macbook Pro but it's also my day time work computer so... I don't want to risk it! I could use this one for production so... the "new" computer will be just and only djing with Traktor. What requirements would I need to have a stable Traktor? I guess since I only want the computer for djing I won't go with Apple. I love macs but it's kind of expensive to just use it for djing.

By the way mannhooei, the best thing to do with mac is get the lower hard drive and the lower ram since you can buy it after and it will be cheaper and sometimes better.
    What do you mean risk it? There's no risk. I use my main machine daily.

Risks: Drink spill (not that easy to happen nowadays), tobacco on the air, other things on the air, drunkards, street "gangsters", police problems...

The ones that really make me have fear: tobacco on the air, other things on the air

Tech Mentor

Yeah, I've been on Macs for 20 years. You already have one, right? The recent crop of unibody machines are far more durable than any PC product you can find out there. I'd buy a used Mac for DJ use before I bought a new PC. What's your sanity worth?

Quote Originally Posted by HigherFi View Post
    Yeah, I've been on Macs for 20 years. You already have one, right? The recent crop of unibody machines are far more durable than any PC product you can find out there. I'd buy a used Mac for DJ use before I bought a new PC. What's your sanity worth?
    Still... as I said... it's my day work computer. Kind of scary if something happens to it. Sanity worths a lot but if you think about it, to djing, you only need one app and you don't even see the desktop of windows eheh

Agreed. Check the refurb section of the online Apple store, lots of good deals there on essentially new computer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast