Clean my mac
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clean my mac

Default Clean my mac

Ive got a new mac book and giving my old 13" unibody to a friend. I want to clean it so all my garbage is gone save for a few programs he might use. What the best way to clean the mac and getting it operating as best as possible. Ive read about and app called "clean my mac" any other suggestions.
    13" MB OSX 10.6.1, 15.4" Retina MBPRO - TP2 , VCI 100 SE, NI AUDIO 4, 2 * CDJ 900, CDJ 850, CDJ 1000 MK3, HDJ 2000, HD25 addidas special, TMA-1, MACHINE,DJM 800, MF, X1, XONE DB4,NEAR 05 ESI STUDIO MONITORS, KRK VXT4*2, ROKIT 6*2, CRANE laptop stand, K2 A&H.

My advice is set a new user as a DJ/Producing only user and shut every running app that you dont need!!
    MBP 13' 256 SSD 8Gb RAM. Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.8 | MF Classic | NI Audio 2 | NI Audio 10 | CDJ1000MK3 (2) | Technics 1200MKII (4) | A&H Xone 92 (UK) | NI Kontrol F1 | Ipad 4 | Korg Kaoss Pad Mini | Ableton Live Suite.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

In that case, nothing beats a clean install.

I would suggest you get 'DaisyDisk' It shows you everything on on the computer in a nice 'daisy-like' diagram. All you need to do is delete everything except for the programs you want, then open to Disk Utility and click 'Verify Permissions' once that is done, click 'Repair permissions' and that's it! Also, reboot the computer, and before you get to the grey loading screen quickly hold down ' shift + alt + p + r '. Hope that helps!
    Mah hard: S2, Mikro, F1, 13.3" MBP. Mah soft: Traktor, Maschine, Kontakt, Massive.

whats shift + Alt +P + R ?
    13" Mbp i7 | TMA-1 | Tech 1200's | RANE TTM-57 | NI Audio 4 | Kontrol S4 | F1 | KrK Rokit 5s

Tech Guru

Clean install would be my suggestion too.
    “A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”

SSD Dual drive MBP, VCI100SE, 2 MF's, Audio 8, Echo Audiofire 2, 2x1200's, CDJ800s, Novation Twitch, XoneS2, X1, tons of PA Gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Emery View Post
    whats shift + Alt +P + R ?
    Resets your PRam... I am not 100% sure, but I don't think it really does anything to newer Macs, it was a common practice with PPC Macs back in the day.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by LanceBlaise View Post
    Resets your PRam... I am not 100% sure, but I don't think it really does anything to newer Macs, it was a common practice with PPC Macs back in the day.
    Still works if something like Wifi/keyboard backlight etc stops responding or working properly.

I'd just create a new user (as administrator) and login to new user profile
    Delete your old user profile,
    Delete the apps you don't want from Applications
    Zero Unused Data using Disk utility
    Repair Disk Permissions

Done.

Deevey's way would also work well.
    Mah hard: S2, Mikro, F1, 13.3" MBP. Mah soft: Traktor, Maschine, Kontakt, Massive.

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HamSammich View Post
    Also, reboot the computer, and before you get to the grey loading screen quickly hold down ' shift + alt + p + r '. Hope that helps!
    cmd+alt(option)+P+R before the grey screen is the combo right to reset PRAM
    left shift+ctrl+alt(option)+power with the computer off resets SMC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast