DDJ SX as a DVS Mixer = No Rane Hardware?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DDJ SX as a DVS Mixer = No Rane Hardware?

A bit confused about the soundcard options within the upcoming DDJ SX ...

As I understand, one could use an S4 and Traktor Scratch Pro with a pair of TTs to essentially re-map the S4 as a mixer.

DJ Dummy does it in this sick as F video:

Can I do the same thing with this sparkly new DDJ SX and use it as a DVS Mixer with Serato DJ (SSL)? I would LOVE to bypass getting some SL1/2/3 from Rane. I've been looking at specs, but am not the most educated when it comes to DVS, soundcard requirements, and the interworkings of the whole Serato + Rane relationship.
    MacBook Pro
    Numark NS7 + NSFX
    Serato ITCH
    Ableton Live 8
    Akai APC40

Not right now I don't think. Serato DJ isn't the new SSL, it's the new ITCH. Still controller only and no DVS. I expect SSL and SDJ to merge at some point in the future, but I don't know what the audio interface policy will be.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Bummer.

This would also eliminate the ability to manipulate the software via the hardware when using DVS. The huge downside I see with a Rane box is that I'd be having to drag/drop tracks with the trackpad on my laptop. Lame.

Guess I'm keeping the Rane Sixty-Two on my wishlist...
    MacBook Pro
    Numark NS7 + NSFX
    Serato ITCH
    Ableton Live 8
    Akai APC40

I wouldn't hold my breath on it but I wouldn't rule it out either, time will tell but I think its obvious serato is trying to make a more all encompassing program in order to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by diezdiazgiant View Post
    I wouldn't hold my breath on it but I wouldn't rule it out.
    That sums it up for me.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

I'm pretty sure it won't work without the box... but from what I understand... you should be able to plug in an SL4, use the two platters to control two decks, and use the turntables/cdj's to control the other two. Sounds like they are working towards it. Unfortunately, it doesn't really help keep the cost down at all yet.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

The idea of integrated SSL control through the hardware is only done through the Rane 57SL/61/62/68... it all leads to minimal contact with the laptop, which is what Traktor users have had going for them since the beginning.

Sigh......
    MacBook Pro
    Numark NS7 + NSFX
    Serato ITCH
    Ableton Live 8
    Akai APC40

Quote Originally Posted by B Linus View Post
    The idea of integrated SSL control through the hardware is only done through the Rane 57SL/61/62/68... it all leads to minimal contact with the laptop, which is what Traktor users have had going for them since the beginning.

Sigh......

theyre going to have to change in order to keep up. ive kept with serato because their library management and workflow just feels better, but after all this time - just started using an x1 and traktor and yeah theres plenty of shit i miss but really if serato doesnt get it together as a competitor theyre going to lose their base. that means theyre going to have to loosen the reins that rane has on SSL or people are just going to jump ship, this divided product line makes no fucking sense.

I think the endgame is to roll SSL and Itch into one product.

Right now, they've got the best of both worlds - They have a club/pro-gear level partner in Rane, AND they have a major partnership with the other 800lb gorilla in the industry - Pioneer.

I currently use SSL in major club gigs and dj competitions (NO ONE uses traktor in either here. No. One.) and and NS6 with Itch for the handful of mobile gigs I do every year.

I do have a VCI-400 when I want to play around with Traktor but honestly, once Serato DJ is made availble for the Vestax, I will probably stop bothering with Traktor altogether. Nice software with lots of bells and whistles, but crappy library managment and workflow.

Not to mention it feels like you are flying the Space Shuttle vs. playing music.

Tech Mentor

My bet is that this will only happen if they manage to renegotiate whatever exclusivity deal they have with Rane. No sooner, and maybe never.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast