DJ Q^ART - Seismic Force (drumfunk++)
    Tech Wizard

Default DJ Q^ART - Seismic Force (drumfunk++)

...a turbulent journey through randomized drum patterns and abstract sounds...

DJ Q^ART - Seismic Force

1. REQUIEM, LOWBSS - Ad Hominem (13 Music) 2007
    2. BIZZY B - 2099 Dub (Planet Mu) 2006
    3. SILENI - Cold Sweat (Planet Mu) 2006
    4. PARADOX - Conform To What (Reinforced) 2000
    5. PALUCA - Blac Cat (Secrets Of The Sun forthcoming) 2013
    6. JAMES HARDWAY - Neon (ICARUS moth mix) (Recordings Of Substance) 1998
    7. DGOHN - Rhythmic Movement Disorder (Subtle Audio) 2007
    8. PARADOX - Unnatural Causes (Reinforced) 2002
    9. ICARUS - Jemo (Recordings Of Substance) 1999
    10. SQUAREPUSHER - North Circular (Rephlex) 1996
    11. JAMES HARDWAY - Neon (NUCLEUS, PARADOX remix) (Recordings Of Substance) 1998
    12. ALPHA OMEGA - Know How (Subtle Audio) 2005
    13. DILLINJA - Armoured D (Metalheadz) 1996
    14. EQUINOX - Phantoms (Subtle Audio) 2005
    15. ICARUS - Cactus (Recordings Of Substance) 1999
    16. IBUNSHI - Fluctuate (Pinecone Moonshine) 2011
    17. FANU - I Play It Cooler (Subtle Audio) 2006

drumfunk, experimental, jungle

recorded: 2012-12-27 (vinyl except tracks 5 & 16)

http://www.mixcloud.com/QART/dj-qart-seismic-force/
    https://soundcloud.com/q-art/dj-q-art-seismic-force

*** 71:47
    *** 164.3 MB
    *** 320 kbps

http://specialrequest.posterous.com/

Tech Mentor

I will likely listen to and comment on this mix soon. Thx especially for tracklist and download link.

I wanted to ask a question prompted by your tracklist. It seems that when "Intelligent Drum and Bass" and "Atmospheric" a-la LTJ Bukem died in the early 2000s, the genre "Drumfunk" has existed more or less since.. but.. is quite limited in total production output, and has been tapering off in recent years? Like, there's 10-15 labels at most, and half of them are either Paradox, Nucleus, Fanu or a few other guys? It almost seems like to try to play choppage you don't have a lot of options? Am I missing something? I tried to do some mixes in this style but couldn't satisfy my preference for artist uniqueness across an entire mix..
    !!! AWESOMER !!!
    Remixes, DJ Mixes, Awesomeness @
    http://soundcloud.com/awesomer
    Chat With Us In (Unofficial) DJTT IRC @
    irc://irc.rizon.net/djtt

Tech Wizard

Hi Awesomer! Thanks for the feedback, yes you're right, it's really hard to compile a "drumfunk" mix now, and it's a real problem that the tracks are very similar to each other, in fact, Paradox himself has a lot of boring tunes that differ just by soundscapes and a couple of breaks. It's true both for vinyl and digital downloads. But I use the term "drumfunk" just to let people identify the general style of a mix. In fact, breakbeat-oriented stuff existed "at all times" of d&b, and I prefer to combine those leftfield-oriented things with drumfunk itself. So it's not strictly drumfunk, drums may be non-funky but still create proper vibe.

Tech Mentor

I listened to your mix a couple of times over the last week or so, sometimes on the macbook speakers other times via the bose speakers downstairs. Here's my feedback.

- Mixing is solid throughout. I didn't really notice you mixing which for this style of music is pretty difficult to achieve. Smooth transitions and smooth levels throughout. I could have used maybe a little more explicitly obvious mixing, when music is this breaky I kinda want to hear cutting between tracks to really accentuate the contrast between the breaks.

- Tracklist was good but tracks generally sounded pretty similar? Considering that you really do seem to have put work into being diverse in terms of producers and sub-genres of choppage, this was sorta surprising. But on the plus side the tracks all fit together in a logical progression and in terms of sound aesthetic. Some of these tracks were damn hard drum oriented stuff! For as interesting as the drum programming was throughout, there was no particular track that really stuck out, perhaps because the mix generally lacked vocals or samples?

- I appreciate the tracklist and download link! Also thank you for answering my question about drumfunk/choppage. It's nice to get confirmation that it wasn't just me missing some secret source of genre relevant stuff. Your commentary on Paradox is very much my experience.. good stuff in general, but "differs just by soundscapes and a couple of breaks" hehe!

Thanks for posting, and keep at it!
    !!! AWESOMER !!!
    Remixes, DJ Mixes, Awesomeness @
    http://soundcloud.com/awesomer
    Chat With Us In (Unofficial) DJTT IRC @
    irc://irc.rizon.net/djtt

Tech Wizard

respect for such comprehensive review!!