Best EQ for Notching?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Best EQ for Notching?

So I've been notching for a couple of years now and I'm starting to get a good sound. I'm wondering though, is there a better EQ to use to get more accurate or better sounding cuts/notches.

Currently I use a Waves Q8 which is really flexible but wondered what everyone else used for cutting and boosting!?

Interested to find out the EQ of choice.

Tech Wizard

I use the Pultec eg from UAD on the DSP card.

Your using a Waves plug in and they make great plug ins, so don't worry too much about what everyone else is using or you will end up with 10 great different plug ins. Granted you could use all 10 in different scenarios and they would all sound great, but wouldn't you rather wanna master using the waves to it's best ability eg. watching video's where it's used, tip's from pros that use it, etc, before exploring a another plugin?

That's the biggest prob with our plug in generation. back in the analogue days, you would read up on an piece of analogue gear, do as much research on it, then make the decision to buy it. once you had it, you used it to it's core, till it made you the money you invested in it back and to the point where you'd show off all the use's for it that no one else would think of. Now with plug ins and plug in piracy, it's all a simple emotionless click away. we should get into the habit of one of each plug in.

sorry bout the mini blog, I some times get carried away, Just make music :-).
    Long live the Noob Wizard

Tech Convert

No worries. Great response, I'll look into that.

Sorry to sound confused but is it not only an EQ though, what do you mean by using it to the best of its ability?

I was meaning in terms of quality and results instead of other different methods you can use the EQ for?

Hope that makes sense.

Tech Wizard

No Problem

What I meant is plug ins in general, like some Compressors can be worked as limiters because the come with that feature but people don't check it out and explore stuff like that simply because they see the name Compressor. And many other plug ins do similar functions.

Haha sorry, but yeah like I said with the waves your in good hands when it comes to quality.
    Long live the Noob Wizard

I love Fab Filters ProQ, i can get real precise or over the top and it has all that i could want from an EQ...

i like uhe's uhbiks eq.

agree with kamakaze though. if it aint broke dont fix it - if your eq is doing the job why look for a new one?

Wave's make GREAT plugin's, their eq's are on-par with the best around.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Fabfilter pro-q and maags eq4

For my own music making, I just use whatever EQ the DAW I'm currently using includes, either EQ8, Logic's EQ, or Studio One's Pro EQ. For my mastering work, I typically prefer using eQuality by DMG Audio. Huge range of sounds, squeeky clean and boring, or just a touch of color and character.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by mcglitch View Post
    So I've been notching for a couple of years now and I'm starting to get a good sound.
    This is a little confusing. Are you talking about EQ-ing in general, or using EQ more as an effect?
    In my opinion, there is little to argue. Any decent producer or engineer can do with whatever EQ's are available. Back in the day you just got whatever table you were working on. Studio got a Neve table, guess it's Neve EQ's for today.

I also agree entirely with Reveren Kamakaze. Part of getting a good sound has little to do with the EQ itself, it's more about your skill using an EQ. I've mixed tracks using only the standard Pro Tools plugins and had them sound better than colleagues who used Waves Plugins, when mixing the same exact track.

Honestly, you're already dealing with high quality stuff. Like everyone's already said, Waves makes excellent plugins, really hard to go wrong with them. My own personal recommendation would be the Sony Oxfords, also very good EQ's. If you're in this tier of digital EQ's, you're pretty much dealing with quality all around.

There's also the big discussion about the use of digital and analog EQ's. Though I won't be getting into that right now. If you want to take it a step further you'll have to start looking at the tonal qualities of each individual EQ, figuring out what their "sound" is, and what is better suited for each application. This goes back to what Reveren Kamakaze said.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast