Sample creation; best tool?
    Tech Wizard

Default Sample creation; best tool?

Hey guys, what's the best sample tool for creating a 100% new sample. A sound from scratch. I want to make bass, 808, and unique sounds for EDM productions. Thanks!

You're looking for all the same stuff used in music creation. It sounds like you mean sound design.

If you want an 808, get an 808.

If you are looking for a good hardware synth for bass, look to Moog, Arturia, Access, etc.

If you want a great software synth, there are a lot of great offerings from NI, Spectrasonic, and U-he.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by botstein View Post
    You're looking for all the same stuff used in music creation. It sounds like you mean sound design.

If you want an 808, get an 808.

If you are looking for a good hardware synth for bass, look to Moog, Arturia, Access, etc.

If you want a great software synth, there are a lot of great offerings from NI, Spectrasonic, and U-he.

I want to make my own sound, so if that is what you are calling sound design, then yeah I wanna start doing sound design. I don't need any hardware synthing I don't think, I'd be making everything from software tools, so maybe my questions should be restructured as:

"If I want to fully create my own digital sounds, such as a unique bass sample, what is the best [synthesizer] software tool out there?"

If the answers to that question are still NI, Spectrasonic, and U-he, then great, thanks! Otherwise, I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks again!

i think you need to read up a little bit on music production, or rather, sequencing.

If you know nothing about sequencing and production, you can still have all the tools in the world to create sounds
    and still not know how to put them together, layering, crossfade, slope, node corrections, eq leveling, and so on.
    Especially knowing the differeance between a Bounced clip, slided clip,and a grooveclip.

This is some important stuff and im not even close to scratching the surface my friend.

Just getting the tools to create sounds is barely step one.

However, your question is "what do i get to create sounds"
    Image Line
    Cakewalk (sonar)
    Sound Lab
    Sound Forge

i can sit here and name a 1000 items, all software but again, yuo still need to know more then what each of their buttons do.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by antifmradio View Post
    i think you need to read up a little bit on music production, or rather, sequencing.

If you know nothing about sequencing and production, you can still have all the tools in the world to create sounds
    and still not know how to put them together, layering, crossfade, slope, node corrections, eq leveling, and so on.
    Especially knowing the differeance between a Bounced clip, slided clip,and a grooveclip.

This is some important stuff and im not even close to scratching the surface my friend.

Just getting the tools to create sounds is barely step one.

However, your question is "what do i get to create sounds"
    Image Line
    Cakewalk (sonar)
    Sound Lab
    Sound Forge

i can sit here and name a 1000 items, all software but again, yuo still need to know more then what each of their buttons do.
    Thank you but the question was not "please judge and rate my music production knowledge", it was to suggest a tool for the creation of proprietary sounds and that is all. You pointed out yourself there is quit an independence between "music production" and "sound creation" so keep that in mind. Every sound out there is derived from something, and in the digital world that derivation is simply different sound frequencies at different volumes and all kinds of other manipulation of that single sound to create a "new sound". For the purpose of this post, that is all I need at this time, a software tool where I can start with nothing and create something new. Not a music production of any scope, I want to create my own sounds. Yes I understand there are a million and one tools for music creation and manipulation, your "a 1000 items", but that is neither here nor there. The products in your list seem to be music production tools (I am using FL Studio 10 and eventually more Ableton for that). I am not sure, because I am very new to this, but for "sound creation" it seems that I am looking for a synthesizer software.

Spectronics Omnisphere
    Lennar Digital Sylenth1
    NI Maschine

all seem to be industry leaders

Thoughts? Thank you
    Last edited by jlv2k5; 01-08-2013 at 03:19 PM.

Tech Mentor

You can start by demoing the NI Massive. You can create unique sounds with every single one of the synths but which one ist the best is really subjektiv. You should try and see it yourself.

Tech Convert

^^ exactly, start by demoing what you already have, or are thinking of getting. there isn't necessarily a "best" software out there. i remember when reason was all the rage, now it's ableton... go figure. download demos and use WHAT YOU LIKE.

all synths come with basic sounds that you then manipulate yourself. sine waves, saws, squares, etc., are all basic electronic waves that are a base for you to add lfos/effects to, thereby "making your own sound(s)".

as for drum sounds, if you want really unique stuff, you can record your own hits. one drum and bass producer recorded basketball bounces for some drum hits. you can then put those in a sampler, if that's your workflow.

lastly, for classic sounds, you are better off buying a pack of the sounds (or even finding them for free somewhere). they are so common/widely used now, that they are easy to find, and often times might be altered a little bit but under different names. by making them "unique" you could just add different effects to them, adjust their eq, etc.