Upgrading to Turntables,is it worth it?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Upgrading to Turntables,is it worth it?

I have the S2 for quite some time now,and im starting to look at turntables more and more.The thing is,i think it would be too overkill for me,since im not that good at mixing right now,but im getting there.Im playing EDM mostly,also some RnB,Hip Hop.Im thinking either upgrade to a better controller,or save up some more cash,and go for a Super OEM tables and a mixer,to go with Traktor.Should i go the turntable route,or buy a bigger controller and wait a little bit,until i am good enough at mixing to jump on the tables?

For Hip Hop, you'd want the real thing. Plus I find mixing on vinyl loads easier than on a controller because of the physical manipulation of the record which makes beat matching very easy and natural.

YES. And start a little vinyl collection.
    Used Record Shopper

Turntables ARE NOT an upgrade. They're just a different option. But, learning to beatmatch on TT's will give you a much better appreciation of what beatmatching is actually all about.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by shogg View Post
    I have the S2 for quite some time now,and im starting to look at turntables more and more.The thing is,i think it would be too overkill for me,since im not that good at mixing right now,but im getting there
    You will probably find that your mixing, and touch will come on leaps and bounds when you get a pair of TTs.

I'd say go for it, and enjoy digging to build up your collection!
    Pioneer CDJ 1000MK3 x 2/Pioneer RMX 1000/Traktor S8/Pioneer HDJ2000s/Pair KRK RP5 G2/MBP 13"/Traktor Scratch Pro/Push/Novation Launchkey 25/Trigger Finger Pro/1.5" iMac :-) http://www.facebook.com/DJThinAir

Go for the turntables, they're awesome.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Turntables ARE NOT an upgrade.
    Depends tbh, if you're doing anything that involves manipulating the actual music (trick mixing, doubles, scratching, juggling, etc), it's definitely an upgrade. If you're holding long mixes and focussing on EQ, FX, etc etc EDM stuff, then not so much. Depends on your mixing style and how you wanna limit yourself and such.

I'm not familiar enough with CDJs, is there stuff you can do on them that you CAN'T do on turntables or is ridic hard on turntables?
    2012 DMC Supremacy World Champ + IDA World Champ

Quote Originally Posted by Vekked View Post
    I'm not familiar enough with CDJs, is there stuff you can do on them that you CAN'T do on turntables or is ridic hard on turntables?
    Instant beatjumps and perfects loops come to mind. Of course, that's not a problem when you're on timecoded vinyl.

TT's are fun and a good thing to spend some money on. Treat them well and they will last forever. You can only get better at using em and it will be more fun as you get better. The value in TT's is large.

Do it.....you wont be sorry. All the DJ's that only have ever used controllers and software only will be left behind on skill levels.

DO IT!!
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Mentor

Like patch mentioned, it's not really an "upgrade" per say. Using turntables does not make you a better DJ. It's just a different method of control that you should incorporate only if your workflow calls for it.

Controllers give you a lot more control over your software. Unless you're wanting to learn to scratch, you're going to miss those features with a traditional mixer+turntables setup. Or you can use both

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast