Tech Convert

Default Need PA Speakers for Mobile DJ Set Up

Current Set Up:
    Numark Mixtrack
    Pioneer HDJ-500 Head Phones
    Traktor 2.6

Budget: $1,000 will push to 1,300 max if worth it

Type of Music: House, Trance, Top40, Dance

Venue: Looking to DJ house parties and back yard parties anywhere from 50-150 people

I am looking to buy 2 speakers,amp(if I don't buy powered speakers), compact mixer, speaker cables, speaker stands

Speakers(one's i have researched so far need some that have bass):
    Behringer B115D(guy at guitar center recommended these)
    Mackie Thumper SRM450v2 (guy at guitar center said stay clear of these
    JBL Eons 515XT(great upgrade)
    QSC K12(bit out of my price range)

Mixer:
    Mackie 402-VLZ3(guy at guitar center would be good to get this)

Let me know what you guys think with my budget what i can work with any type of info would be greatly appreciated or recommendations, let me know. Thanks.

-Michael
    Last edited by mjlass; 01-08-2013 at 11:13 PM.

Tech Wizard

What about LD Systems Dave System ?
    Im using two of them but just 2 High Sat's and 2 Bass ... i dont need the other 2 satellites!
    MacBook Pro 2.5GHZ 667MHZ 4GB RAM - Traktor Kontrol S4 Mk1 / X1 Mk1 /F1 / Maschine / Audio 8

Soundcloud
    Facebook

Tech Guru

B52 Matrix 1000v2. This is two tops + one sub...all powered. This is about $1k out the door...with stands & cables.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    B52 Matrix 1000v2. This is two tops + one sub...all powered. This is about $1k out the door...with stands & cables.
    Thanks for the recommendation keep em coming I will take a look at the two above, how are they on durability plus if it came down to it I will spend a little more than $1000 I just want quality to do so.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mjlass View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation keep em coming I will take a look at the two above, how are they on durability plus if it came down to it I will spend a little more than $1000 I just want quality to do so.
    I have only seen/heard the B52 Martix 1000v2 systems in "studio installs." Several have been in use for three years (I installed these). They have held up really well in that kind of a "sheltered" environment. I have not seen any that have been used in a mobile environment....but they seem to be built as well as anything else in a similar price point.

As a "tops only" solution, also look at the RCF 312A. They are <$500/cabinet as a powered solution. I prefer the sound to the Behringer, Mackie, and JBL systems previously mentioned - and I think the RCF's combine better with subs. The differences are subtle...and given a sufficiently good deal, any of those cabinets would provide years of good service.

The QSC K-series are a step up in quality and price.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

I had the Mackie Thumps 15" and stay away from those. They're fine for house parties, but they're not loud enough for professional use. Now I use Mackie SRM450V2's and they've been fine for a year now. They're smaller, but heavier, and very, very much louder than Thumps. I would have bought RCF Art312A's, but I had an incredible deal on my 450's. I haven't heard 312's, but 310's were amazing...

Tech Convert

Thanks guys again for all the help with this, after further research and advice from you guys. I feel I want to up my budget so I recently have been looking at the JBL PRX612M & QSC K10's. Can I please get some insight into which are better for House music as well as produce more bass without a subwoofer. Any feedback would be much appreciated since most reviews online comparing both are back and forth and would like to get feedback from you guys.

Rcf-312a's are right in your budget. I like mine. Plan on a sub for larger rooms and crowd, but for smaller rooms/crowds they work great by themselves and have good mid bass with very clean highs.