what is the deal with the derailing backspin?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default what is the deal with the derailing backspin?

i feel dumb for asking...

so in some radio shows and basically every boiler room set i've seen - there will be a couple of times during the set when someone in the crowd or the mc, or even the dj, reaches over to the decks and does a backspin on the active deck which derails the set, then the music stops. and everyone seems pretty happy about it?

then they play that same song again from the start. and the dj set continues.

http://youtu.be/Tmf44ZIYCKo?t=22m20s - dj does it @ 22m20
    http://youtu.be/Tmf44ZIYCKo?t=25m55s - random guy in crowd does it like 3 mins later
    http://youtu.be/Tmf44ZIYCKo?t=31m20s - mc does it 5 mins after that

is it like a tradition or a dancehall thing or something? what does it mean o_O

it never happens in the clubs i've been to

please pardon my ignorance :P

Tech Guru

Rewinds have always been big in the dnb/dub scene. Its often when dropping a a big new tune. Its been a divisive element of the scene since the beginning. Some love it, some just want the fuckers to get on with it.

Tech Mentor

Or the DJ is using virtual DJ with automix...
    Macbook Pro 15' - Kontrol S4 - MF Pro Beatmasher - NI Maschine- Korg Nano Kontrol - Akai MPK Mini- Champagne Bottles

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

Pretty much what oliosky said. Rewinds allow you to hear the track unmixed from the start (assuming it was mixed in to begin with) builds hype for the track, etc. This works especially well on a track that has an epic intro.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Tech Mentor

you guys do it in live sets? it sounds kinda jarring to me, but maybe when you are there live it's cool :P

i haven't been in a club where a dj has done that move.

Moderator of Silly Walks Citizen_Insane's Avatar

I don't have any platters with my current set up so it's a little corny for me to do, but it can be simulated with Traktor's TTFX... Still, just feels wrong to really do that for the live purpose without having the track there on acetate.
    Traktor Pro, VCM 600, Custom Midi Fighter, Presonus Firebox, Ultrasone DJ1 Pro
    http://soundcloud.com/citizen_insane/
    Quote Originally Posted by photojojo View Post
    All these subgenre's are like the grandchildren of disco with dubstep and D&B being the bad kids that smoke cigarettes and are in and out of jail.

Tech Guru

haha you forgot this classic rewind - Boiler Room again 4:55

Real good set though

Aside from what oli said, it can also be used to deliberately kill the energy in the room, then bam - you hit 'em with an even bigger tune. The combination of "WTF?" when the music goes off and "oh shit!" when the next track comes in can work really well, plus you can use it as a way to transition to a song that's a big change in BPM from the last one.

Back when Jump Around by House of Pain was getting lots of play in clubs I used to do it with that, because it has one of those intros that gets people hyped.

I like to pull that trick with any of my Rhianna tracks and then drop some wicked Chris Brown. Sometimes I am smoking of the pipe
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

Quote Originally Posted by smittten View Post
    I like to pull that trick with any of my Rhianna tracks and then drop some wicked Chris Brown. Sometimes I am smoking of the pipe

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast