What inspires you? [ kind thinking out loud ]
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What inspires you? [ kind of thinking out loud ]

As I wrap up my EP. I'm really trying to go hard and bring it home STRONG.

Before I start a production session ... I love now [since I got into DJ'ing] having the capability of loading up Traktor ... Powering on the S2 ... And just seeing where it goes with no intent but to explore!

I'm reminded of techniques to try to incorporate into my music. Sounds and textures that are hot right now. Kick and sub balance references.

It is such a beautiful day and age we're in.

As a DJ, with 1 successful (as in lead to more opportunities) season [spring and summer - touristy area here] under my belt, last year .. I found myself craving more and more to bring my production techniques and knowledge into my DJ game. I was able to modify a Beaubryte Mapping for Launchpad to my liking (basic stuff) and somewhat fill the desire to do more. I used (insta-grat) effects vary sparingly and I think in a more unique way than a lot of pure newbies probably would have.

I've been using and supporting Native Instruments products for years. Understanding Traktor was a piece of cake.

What was not a piece of cake was the art of DJ'ing. Keeping a balanced sound on JACKED UP systems where the club / venue owners force you to "just deal with things".

Operator error. The most leftfield / oddball things seem to pop up out of nowhere .. just when you're starting to get your swag right.

The circumstantial embarrassment of playing for an empty room. (TOUGH for me. I almost wanna not get paid and leave.)

For me, the 7 - 8 months of weekly gigs were exhilarating and challenging. I kept things pretty basic. I did try and challenge myself every week. I got nervous EVERY TIME until the moment I hit play. I'm nervous now as I talk about it.

BUT I CANNOT WAIT. I've learned a lot thanks to this forum. And look forward to taking more risks!

YOU [other DJ's] especially here are inspiring me! Even the people that hop on with what can kind of sometimes be looked at as a negative perspective. I may be agitated for a moment ... but I'm forced to dig ... do more research ... check myself.

My confidence is at an all time high for 2013. Musically, I'm growing. And I'm going to be more aggressive this upcoming season. (Northwest Florida ... Tourist Trap area) [there's an EP title right there .. TOURIST TRAP VOL 1]

#Inspiration #Motivation

But anyways .. I'd love to hear anyone thoughts that read through that nonsense!

MUCH LOVE. MUCH RESPECT.
    Last edited by jshawpro; 01-10-2013 at 04:54 AM.
    My debut EP is FINISHED!! Now back to being a DJ!!

http://soundcloud.com/iambreed <-- NEW EP! "Hello. My Name is Breed"

#RESPECT

Hot naked girls.

Jk.

tl;dr (sorry)

What inspires me is knowing that by sharing sounds and music I enjoy, others experience the same indescribable feeling I get... Eargasm (maybe its not indescribable)? Anyway, I just like bringing new sounds to (generally) openminded people and seeing their enjoyment and love for the music.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ SB View Post
    Hot naked girls.

Thats a great perspective! And I'm glad you mentioned open minded, because ... Those are the BEST crowds! (obviously)

Towards the end of the summer, I got invited to spin for an amusement park here. The amusement park has a program where they hire and lodge foreign 18 - 20 year olds for a (probably shady) work exchange program. This was their employee appreciation party.

It was me vs. like 200 (mostly European chicks), at night, at the park ... stage was sick! right next to a pool ... summer was ending. they were all going home. And it was the best night I've ever had spinning. They wanted 4 on the floor ... FUN ... ENERGETIC ... Glitchy ... progressive ... and sooo open minded. Such a contrast to the club scene I experienced here. And again ... inspiring!!

#RESPECT

Yeah dude

I really only spin music that I enjoy and believe in these days and have built what I'd like to think is a genuine following upon that. I DJ less frequently (for now) but always really have fun.

Good to read all of this! And a great post jshawpro.

I would love to contribute to this thread but I am way to inexperience to do so.
    The only thing I can say is that I told myself whenn i started, that I only would play music that I like and whant to share with like mindend people. I'm not dj'ing to perform or get on a stage in front of a crowd. I wanted to learn the craft of mixing the music that I love so much. That's my motivation.
    DJ Kontrol S2 || Traktor 2.6 || MBP 15" 16G Retina || MACKIE MR5 MKII ||

Prod. PC Duo Core || 22" LG || Ableton Live 9 || AKAI MPK mini

Quote Originally Posted by Manolo008 View Post
    Good to read all of this! And a great post jshawpro.

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate the feedback and insight.

Quote Originally Posted by Manolo008 View Post
    The only thing I can say is that I told myself whenn i started, that I only would play music that I like and whant to share with like mindend people. I'm not dj'ing to perform or get on a stage in front of a crowd. I wanted to learn the craft of mixing the music that I love so much. That's my motivation.
    I love to see really passionate artists, DJ's, musicians .. stick to their gameplan! (mars volta, radiohead)

I respect that .. And I value my personal priority - audio / record production in the same regard.

A lot of personal / financial life obligations hindered my creative process and freedom to create ... so I kind of feel "late". I'm starting to believe more and more that I'm right on time. But I'm definitely late to the DJ game. So I'm really taking what I can get. And doing my best to convey to the listening body that I'm there for THEM! ... for now.

Which means constant "Wobble" requests ... Skrillex requests ... "The New Deadmau5 FIVE" ... But I love it.
    I'll play any reasonable request that's on my machine that will not clear the floor. And then TRY to put my own spin on it.

It's been a GREAT journey so far. But I can feel the fire for this year. <-- corny.

But I believe it.

#RESPECT

Tech Convert

Well I would say that talking to other djs and people that are passionate about what they're doing is what makes me motivated and inspired... I remember one time I was with Richie Hawtin, Loco Dice and Paco Osuna on the same time and on the DJ Booth on ENTER@Oporto, after the show I had a talk with Richie and it was amazing to see such a great DJ (my favourite) talking to me about what influenced him and took him further, what he transmitted was simply a feeling of being able to accomplished whatever you want just by believing in what you doing and struggling for what you want. That's what I think really inspires me. it isn't easy to find someone really passionate, but if you find someone like that I think it can be easily spread to you.

Respect mate

Quote Originally Posted by MayTox View Post
    That's what I think really inspires me. it isn't easy to find someone really passionate, but if you find someone like that I think it can be easily spread to you.

SO TRUE! Behind most movements is a team and at the vary least insight from outside sources. I have a friend, who I feel is a better producer than I am. We've known each other for 12 + years. We would research production techniques and basically taught ourselves the technical side audio / record production. We both ended up taking the 40 hour standard work configuration .. And I'm finding him harder and harder to motivate. TONS OF TALENT. GENIUS in many respects. We talk often, but no more exchanging Ableton projects.

I'm just gonna grind for both of us, though! Make him an offer he can't resist! Production-wise .. I wouldn't be sh*t with out him know that I think about ...

#RESPECT

Please post a link to your EP when you're finished. As far as what inspires me... Now a days it takes some new tracks to get my a$$ motivated to mix but once I do, I find I mix a combination of old and new tracks. That usually leads to a 3-4 hour mix session that I sometimes record and sometimes don't. I really should record every one but...
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

What inspires me the most is djing and watching the crowd react to your vibe and song choices.

Even more so if we are throwing a rave in the forest and I see people go off into the bushes to make sexy time. My set creates babies and I don't think I have anything that inspires me more to dj then to see people getting it on cause my music makes them want to bang. LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast