New Setup

Thread: New Setup

Default New Setup

Hey guys, just got all my gear today after a few weeks wait. Live in Australia, and ordered an Ausio 8 DJ sound card and Vestax VCI 100 from ebay america. Both products brand new, though i suspect that the vestax is b-stock, with firmware 1.1 (my jog wheels continue searching etc. until they stop spinning instead of when i let go of platter)
    Anyway does this definitely indicate firmware 1.1?
    The main problem im having is actually getting the jog wheels to sound decent at all, when i have the platters in vinyl mode and try to scratch it sounds terrible (clicks etc. i played with midi mappings then when i rotate the platters the song wouldnt click but skip extremely fast until i then touched the jog wheels again) - hope this makes sense!
    Basically if i update to firmware 1.3 would i be able to use a more advanced .tsk file to alter the seetings of my jog wheels? or any suggestions to how to get them sounding decent for scratching with firmware 1.1
    You reckon it could be the soundcard not set up properly?

Any advice would be great, im planning on purchasing the 1.3 upgrade for the record, just wanted to get some decent sounds happening before it arrived.
    As well im using Traktor scratch pro

Cheers

Andrew

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

You can already alter the settings of your jog wheels both on the back of the unit or in the TKS or TSI itself.

Also, if the platter is still spinning after you let it go it will not stop sending the "scratch" message. If you translate this to a turntable: You grab the record and begin your scratch. Then you just pull the record back and push it forward as hard as you can and it just spins. You've let the record go but it's still spinning, and it won't sound normal until it slows down. This works the same way. If you just grab the little platter and spin it it'll keep going until it stops and isn't sending messages anymore.

I think, in regards to the skipping sound, you're in CD mode and using the jog wheel function on the TSI. This makes the software act like a CDJ would for the process of cueing.

Once again, try playing with the settings on the jog wheel for the sensitivity and see what happens.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

cheers for the reply mate, yeh i assumed id have to just keep messing around with the midi mappings, sorta basing my question on what ean golding posted

Arrow FAQ- Which firmware do I have?
    Version 1.1

* the firmware with the "ramp up problem"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2Y509VQVEQ

the jog wheel touch sensor turns off when the wheel stops turning, not when you release your finger.

Also a bit of a disaster - i went to fiddle with my jog wheel sensors on the back of the vci 100, and the sensor for the left deck came off, took apart casing and retrieved it - now however i cant see how to reconnect this. Pretty pissed off, only had the controller for 5 or 6 hours! What would be my option here for repairs, return to delaer - would be a real pain another 50 US postage.
    Maybe i could live without adjusting it. Any suggestions? to clarify its the small white dial about the size of the screwheads on the vestax with the 'EOI' printed on it.

cheers again

Andrew

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

See, mine still does that too, and I have FW 1.3. If you press both Vinyl Mode buttons at the same time and the jog wheels turn off you have v1.2

I think there are some threads here about reattaching that, and I'm sure one of our various soldering gurus can give an opinion from there.

It is hard to go on without adjusting that sensor, depending on how you use the unit, of course. I know many people can dealt with it and others got a replacement
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall