Debating on whether or not to buy CDJ's

Default Debating on whether or not to buy CDJ's

Hey guys,

I have some extra money, as well as a tax return coming, and have been feeling like I need to get CDJ's. I spin a lot in the city, and have an S4 and Traktor, which I love, however I occasionally find some other DJ's get annoyed by having to 'setup' my S4 and laptop.

To me, it's the ultimate setup, but I would like to get to be great on CDJ's. Please don't reccommend I just buy 800's. If I buy CDJ's, I need to get the 1000 mk2's so that I'm not missing any features the club setup might have.

Also, I know I can practice with the S4 like it's a pair of CDJ's but again, I want to know the units inside and out.

I figure at the least I could buy them, play on them for a year or so, and then just resell them... thoughts?

Tech Mentor

Why would you get CDJ-1000MK2's? I've haven't seen a club with them in like 6 years. If you are totally against 800's (best bang for your buck), then you may as well get 900's or 2000's... which are pretty much club standard everywhere these days.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

Tech Guru

Do you know someone who has a pair of them? A little bit of practice is all you need to learn CDJ's they're pretty basic. Save your money and buy 2000 odd dollars worth of music instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Brio View Post
    Hey guys,

I have some extra money, as well as a tax return coming, and have been feeling like I need to get CDJ's. I spin a lot in the city, and have an S4 and Traktor, which I love, however I occasionally find some other DJ's get annoyed by having to 'setup' my S4 and laptop.

To me, it's the ultimate setup, but I would like to get to be great on CDJ's. Please don't reccommend I just buy 800's. If I buy CDJ's, I need to get the 1000 mk2's so that I'm not missing any features the club setup might have.

Also, I know I can practice with the S4 like it's a pair of CDJ's but again, I want to know the units inside and out.

I figure at the least I could buy them, play on them for a year or so, and then just resell them... thoughts?

Scott - Welcome!

Are you related to Brio as in the wooden train toys? I loved those.

I would skip the CDJs. I have some and I find that I just don't play CDs - I leave them home (at my father's house, actually). CD timecode just doesn't feel the way that the timecode vinyls do, either (scratching, etc).

I have a strong loss-aversion instinct and don't much like selling gear but if I could painlessly have money instead, as if by magic, I would take that deal.

Quote Originally Posted by brocklambert View Post
    Why would you get CDJ-1000MK2's? I've haven't seen a club with them in like 6 years. If you are totally against 800's (best bang for your buck), then you may as well get 900's or 2000's... which are pretty much club standard everywhere these days.
    This.

I have a pair of 1000 mk3's, and I love them. I picked them up for £1000 for the pair off of Gumtree. I keep harping on about upgrading them to 2000 nexus', and its not because I don't like what I have, I just want/need the improved functionality. I've you cant afford the 2000's then the 900's are a great shout.

What exactly do you propose to use them for, do you want to replace your controller?
    Pioneer CDJ 1000MK3 x 2/Pioneer RMX 1000/Traktor S8/Pioneer HDJ2000s/Pair KRK RP5 G2/MBP 13"/Traktor Scratch Pro/Push/Novation Launchkey 25/Trigger Finger Pro/1.5" iMac :-) http://www.facebook.com/DJThinAir

Tech Guru

Get the 800 Mk2s if you're on a strict budget, otherwise the Advanced HID control you get with the 900s and 2000s is much better than timecode.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Hey guys thanks for the replies!

Quote Originally Posted by brocklambert View Post
    A lot of the clubs in San Francisco have them, or the Mk3's... and sometimes have the 2000 Nexus. Again, I really only want to spend ~1k on something to learn on, I don't want to spend $3k on some gear to practice on.

Quote Originally Posted by LoopCat View Post
    Do you know someone who has a pair of them? A little bit of practice is all you need to learn CDJ's they're pretty basic. Save your money and buy 2000 odd dollars worth of music instead.
    I do know some people with them, however I feel like I won't REALLY get great on them unless I own some. Believe me, I'd rather spend the money elsewhere, considering I already have a Traktor setup

Quote Originally Posted by botstein View Post
    Scott - Welcome!

Are you related to Brio as in the wooden train toys? I loved those.

I would skip the CDJs. I have some and I find that I just don't play CDs - I leave them home (at my father's house, actually). CD timecode just doesn't feel the way that the timecode vinyls do, either (scratching, etc).

I have a strong loss-aversion instinct and don't much like selling gear but if I could painlessly have money instead, as if by magic, I would take that deal.
    Haha thanks dude, no relation to the blocks unfortunately. I've actually been on DJTT for a while, but I had a stupid user name and couldn't change it so I just made a new one

Would you suggest buying them to use them for a year or so and then resell them perhaps? Even knowing I would lose 1 or 2 hundred by then? I dunno, I just really want to be able to play on anything and not be tied to my S4