Itunes WAV conversion
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Itunes WAV conversion

Hey guys this is more a search for the correct information rather than the solution. I was having a basic prob with Traktor not reading some files because they were .m4a files or something like that. Anyways I solved it in iTunes by converting the files...they have .MP3 and .WAV encoder etc. I also read the article on the blog here: "A DJ's Guide to Audio file and bit rates" so I got an understanding of .WAV and 320 bit rates. Question: does or can iTunes successfully convert a regular .mp4 or .mp3 to these higher end formats such as .WAV? I converted one of the songs that wasn't working in Traktor to .WAV format and I got a 30 mb song with extremely high bit rates. Of course it now works in Traktor but I guess I'm in awe that a software can convert files to higher quality? Or is iTunes just displaying wrong bit rates etc.
    I'm confused becuase as a graphic designer also the rule of thumb is that files can be scaled down or converted to the another format but blowing up an image will cause distortion you know? How can you add what wasn't there? o.O looking for some nice theory! Thanks guys n happy Sunday!

Cant scale up

I use AIFF for lossless, that's what beatport sell in now too.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Traktor understands .m4a files (AAC.) What kinds of files are theses, MPEG-4 audio, something strange?

As for converting from lossy to lossless, you get what you put in, nothing better. Sorry, magic does not work.
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik

Tech Convert

In the song's properties it says M4A Audio File (.m4a); and in iTunes it saws (AAC) so it should be working in Traktor but its not...hmm. Its not corrupted because I can play it in iTunes; I've been having this prob with other songs so I don't get it...doubt they're DRM protected... Converting works so yeah. Just wanted to ask whats up with the .WAV info iTunes gave back.

Tech Mentor

The conversion from WAV to mp3 or m4a has taken away some of the quality of the track in order to reduce the size of the file. While it is possible to re-convert back to WAV, the data that is missing from the previous conversion is still missing. So there is no point in having the file as a WAV as it is the same quality. You cannot restore the quality once it has gone.

If you are having problems with m4a's, and want to convert, then use mp3. Or re-rip the track from CD assuming you have this.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

I'd still probs convert to aiff myself. I know it won't improve the sq but at least it won't compress song again.

Maybe someone can correct that logic hit that's what I'd do
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Tech Convert

Thanks guys; I converted some to MP3 and heard serious loss in SQ but I can configure the settings in iTunes preferences. I just convert 'em to AIFF because the quality sounds the same to me...and it now works in traktor Disk space isn't a prob for me so from now on its lossless!

I wrote an encoding guide for DJ Forums which you might find useful: -

http://www.djforums.com/forums/showt...rates-tagging)

It covers MP3 and FLAC, but the information applies to other lossy and lossless encoders as well.

Tech Convert

Thanks man! Loving the help.

You have latest Traktor, right?
    ---
    Contact me if you have a cool musical idea. @kentsandvik

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast