Is the s4 a better investment then the s2.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is the s4 a better investment then the s2.

Let me start out by saying that i have always wanted to be a dj but was discouraged because of the amount of equipment it used to require and the financial price tag that came along with it. So I mainly focused more on producing beats and songs. But now that I am older and realize that my beats and songs are not going to reach the amount of people I would like it to do. I find that my using my knowledge gained through producing crosses over very well into mixing. I feel i can have a bigger impact and give back to the community more so mixing then simply just producing tracks that honestly most people will probably never hear.

With that out of the way, I have been mixing now for over 3 months on a bdc3000 that my buddy loaned me with bootleg virtual dj pro software that cause a headache when it comes to saving cues. So building a planned set has proven to be difficult.(ready to make the step to traktor pro already bored with vdj) Im completely in love and consumed with ideas all day long about how i can progress my mix's and take them to the next level. I'm getting about a 1000$ on my tax return and I'm having a hard time waying the pros and cons of the s2 and s4. Is it better to invest in s4 over the s2. Focus being longevity, sound quality,loop performance, and having the less amount of equipment with the most capablities.
    I saw that the s4 can be used as a mixer between to turntables, a big plus for me because I have loved scratching on my buddy's turntables back in the day and have a big respect for old school pioneers of the dj world and would like to explore the old traditional ways.(q-bert razorblade alcohol slide still. still gives me the chills). I would hate to invest in the s2 only to find out what i really want isnt available on the s2 or is just to much of a hassle to map out for the hardware. Is the s4 more adaptable in a professional setting vs the s2.
    Basically, is the s4 worth the extra chips, and do they come with extended warranty plans ( water/ drink damage fuse blows etc. etc.)

To get an extended warranty buy from Guitar Center.

From what I hear (as I am not a scratcher) the S4's cross fader isn't very good for scratching. That being said it depends on how much you really plan on scratching or do you really plan on getting turn tables anytime soon. The jogs will do for a little dabbling in scratching.

Sound quality will be the same.

IMO the S4 with its more numerous controls would be better for the sample deck control. An S2 with the upcoming Kontrol F1 would also be a good choice when TPro 2.5 comes out.

Go to your local Guitar Center and play with both and see what you think.

from experience, scratching is fine on the s4. you can set the cut-in under the software settings. at the sharpest setting, cut-in is around 1-2mm.
    Last edited by Jason Cerna; 02-19-2012 at 11:14 AM.

scratching is fine on the S2 as well.

found these on the tubes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnjgOtSblfk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU0CnAJc7Q4

what about a dvs system on turntables plus a small midi controller for effects etc?
    keepin' it real since 1999... DJAdamDaniel.co.uk

Tech Mentor

My two cents...

I would really miss having dedicated buttons for cues 5-8 and dedicated filter knobs. That alone would turn me off from the s2.

If you go with the s4 you have the option to add some turntables/cdj's later on, that and the dedicated filter knobs make it no contest for me.
    Hardware: MBA 13" i7 | NI S4 | Maschine
    Software: TSP 2.5 | Live 8 | ZebraII | Massive | FM8 | Sylenth1

With an S4 & turntables setup, how is the CPU overhead with some good low latency scratch settings? I'm curious.

I'm running a dual core 2.4 ghz MBP, 4 GB ram. Reckon that can handle the load?

If you plan on playing out. The S2 is more portable and easier to fit into booths with existing gear...and can be mapped to control all 4 decks (if that's a concern). If you think you might miss the additional 4 hot cue buttons, you can add an additional controller like a Midi Fighter.
    That being said, if you plan on hooking up turntables with an S2 you'll need an additional sound card.
    SL1200 MK3D's, Kontrol Z2, Kontrol X1 MKII, Kontrol Z1, KRK Rokit 6's, MacBook Air, Midi Fighter 3D, Midi Fighter Pro, kazoo, gourd banjo.

NEW DEEP FUTURE BASS MIX
    Soundcloud|Mixcrate|Mixcloud|Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Xtian317 View Post
    If you plan on playing out. The S2 is more portable and easier to fit into booths with existing gear...and can be mapped to control all 4 decks (if that's a concern). If you think you might miss the additional 4 hot cue buttons, you can add an additional controller like a Midi Fighter.
    That being said, if you plan on hooking up turntables with an S2 you'll need an additional sound card.
    Correct me if I am wrong....but wouldn't you be restricted to only hearing 2 decks at any time rather than a possible 4 due to the 2 channel limit on the s2?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast