Indecisive about CDJ Purchase choice-Need Guidance

Question Indecisive about CDJ Purchase choice-Need Guidance

So ive been Djing around a year and a half now and have made a few switches in regards to gear as I have progressed with skill level. I started out with my neighbors old 1200's and slowly moved into the digital era of controllers with a purchase of a NS7fx for a dirt cheap price. THough this has kept me afloat in local gigs and even a festival- I have noticed that I am ever so pushed into the desire/neccesity to use CDJ's. As such, I am in the market to buy them, and have just managed to work a deal to acquire 2 CDJ800MKII's, (1) Serato SL3, Behringer DDM4000 mixer, and a Odyssey Road Case with laptop shelf for a mere 900... Is this a good buy? should I look into upgrading the mixer? if so, should I shoot for getting a DJM800 or does the A&H Xone lineup offer anything better at a price (the item can be used) lower than the DJM? What is a good path to go with all of this?

All comments appreciated!

900 dollars? sounds like a good deal if the equipment is in good condition.

Isnt even only the sl3 like 600 dollars new, or even more?

Tech Wizard

Regardless the price you need to know what you want to achieve and if this is the gear that will help you reach your goal. It sounds like you want to get CDJ's because they are the standard club setup and you want to make sure you are familiar with them. If that's the case I would go for a setup that at least uses Rekordbox. Prepping all your tracks takes alot of time and eventually that's the road you want to take. My recommendation would be not to go for this deal and save up for gear which is using Rekordbox and is future proof for at least for the upcoming years.
    MBP 15" i7 @ 2,66MHz 4GB Ram, NI TSP, Audio8, Kontrol S4, Kontrol X1, Kontrol F1, Machine
    2x CDJ2000, DJM900, Shure PSM400 + SE 425 in Ear, Westone 3 + 4
    http://soundcloud.com/michael-dawson...-2012-mixed-by

The deal sounds pretty reasonable, but if you go for it I'd sell the 800s straight away for something newer that supports HID if you're planning to use serato. Using timecode discs your 800 platters will be nowhere near as accurate as your NS7 and cueing and looping won't work properly without another controller.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    The deal sounds pretty reasonable, but if you go for it I'd sell the 800s straight away for something newer that supports HID if you're planning to use serato. Using timecode discs your 800 platters will be nowhere near as accurate as your NS7 and cueing and looping won't work properly without another controller.
    Ok, that sounds not too bad; I ended up purchasing the setup, it is in very good condition, practically new, has a Odyssey case with laptop shelf and enclosure for the Serato SL3, which was also brand new and had carry case and all documents; all cables and such included; so Its not too bad, the only thing I want to do is upgrade the mixer to a djm800----- but please tell me more about this timecode issue...I have been playing with it and it doesn't seem to be that off, but still am very intrigued; yeah in a sense the accuracy isn't as close as the ns7, but the CDJ's offer a lot more flexibility so I guess its an alright trade off--- but what would an appropriate action be? buy 1000's? or stick with the 800's ? What could I expect to get for the 800's and how worth it is it to buy 1k's?

You misunderstand me, it's a question of the features of the older CDJs (800s, 1000s) compared to newer models. If you have CDJ 850s, 900s or 2000s you don't need timecode discs as they use HID over USB which is much more accurate and all the features of the player are accurately recreated in the software. You can also still play normal CDs or USB sticks without having to change anything.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Mentor

Are you REALLY going to play in clubs or do you just want something more engaging/robust? If you are hauling your own gear, then Pioneer makes little sense in terms of features and certainly price point. At the risk of sounding overly pragmatic - look at DENON SC-2900's.

I have the DDM4000, whilst acknowledging that its the not the greatest mixer in the world, I do like it, but have also made no secret of the fact that I want to upgrade it.

Sounds like you got a good deal though, if like M.Beijer says, its all good nick!
    Pioneer CDJ 1000MK3 x 2/Pioneer RMX 1000/Traktor S8/Pioneer HDJ2000s/Pair KRK RP5 G2/MBP 13"/Traktor Scratch Pro/Push/Novation Launchkey 25/Trigger Finger Pro/1.5" iMac :-) http://www.facebook.com/DJThinAir

Tech Mentor

Sell the 800's and get something with Rekordbox(850, 900). Leave the laptop at home. I really don't understand why people use DVS with CDJ's. I feel like you loose some functionality of both. Or just burn CD's.