Who Wants to Start a DMC Digital Team ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Who Wants to Start a DMC Digital Team ?

A couple of years ago, me and few friends were sat at DMC 2006, watching Enferno do a blinding showcase using laptops and loopers alongside turntables. We all agreed that it would be better if everyone could use this kind of gear and unleash the creativity instead of being limited by just turntables and analog mixers. It wasn't just me and my pals, but a scratchernet full of voices hankering for change. And DMC have heeded the words and change is afoot. This year, as a move in the right direction (and I guess to evaluate the potential logistical nightmares), the teams will be unfettered in their use of technology.

This just in from Sally@DMC:

Official DMC statement in regards to the DMC World Team Championship

DMC have decided to allow DJs to move with the times whilst protecting the integrity of the art and allowing them to embrace modern playback technology.

These decisions are being made at the behest of DJs and our international branches who want to move their events into the 21st century whilst remaining loyal to pure turntablism.

Under any circumstances we don’t see the DMC World Championships ever dropping turntable/vinyl as the main focus.

Once we see how it develops at the World Finals and we have met with our international branches, our decisions for expanding use of equipment in the future will be made. So we’ll let the Teams take on the challenge and judge once we have seen the results and, most importantly, the fan’s reactions.

The equipment allowed in the DMC Team event are : Technics Turntables, Ortofon needles, Digital software (Serato, Traktor, Mix Vibes.....), Loop Stations (ie type Roland RC-20 or 50) and analogue or digital Mixers (internal or external).

So there you have it - DMC making tentative tippy toes in the right direction. The implications are immense, not just from working out just how the hell you're going to handle teams of DJs using oodles of different mixers. software and samplers, but also for the judges as well. They need to be aware of how all this works and also to see if the DJs are being skilled or simply miming to pre-sequenced loops and beats with a couple of crabs thrown in for effect. And the apparent no limit on brands is cool as well, although I'm sure SSL some brands will dominate.

Either way, I welcome the decision with open arms and will probably do 2 days at DMC now if the budget allows. Discussion - GO!

This was Taken from Skratchworx.com

never thought i'd see the day...

yeah it made my day . It's nice to see this "gimmick" as some people have called it is finally getting the recognition it deserves .

whoa this is so a move in the right direction for DMC *huge thumbs up*

Still don't think this is big progress though.

No additions of MIDI controllers next to the turntable setup.
    That with Ableton (No mentioning about this fine piece of software in the letter) would have been the best.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

well I got 2 pdx's just need a mixer and some needles I am down lol

Quote Originally Posted by tekki View Post
    Still don't think this is big progress though.

No additions of MIDI controllers next to the turntable setup.
    That with Ableton (No mentioning about this fine piece of software in the letter) would have been the best.
    I kinda assumed midi control would be allowed, using programs without midi is kinda stupid... if they have however, DJTT just became the #1 resource on the net for people in the running for the next DMC competition

LoLz.

That would be awesome.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)

Not gona lie....id be a hella lot more interested in DMC if we had some good controllerist in there!
    Dj Krilikz‡ -

One does not judge what yee has not heareth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast