at the risk of being "flamed" or disliked...I must say, Traktor Kontrol S4...sucks.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default at the risk of being "flamed" or disliked...I must say, Traktor Kontrol S4...sucks.

not new to the DJ world, came from heavy 2 channel gemini mixers, TT's and vinyl.
    Got a Numark mixdeck for cheap, and has been beastly.

invested in Native Instruments Kontrol S4, used it for awhile and I can't even force myself to like it.
    YES ABSOLUTELY it's perfect for Traktor Pro2 etc useage, but the feel of this controler is so delicate.
    It feels like it should be used by the small delicate hands of a toddler, and not the bass driven hands of a fully grown male/female who gets into their music.

For the price they sell for brand new, it's VERY "plasticy" with knobs twists that feel like they can snap, and faders that practically wobble.

I had read so much hype about it before buying, even tried it out for a few minutes in the store...but after some time, it's crowded feel (jumble cluster of closely set FX knobs and delicate feeling load buttons) I just didn't feel confident that this will last the test of time throughout gigs.

For practically the same price, VCI400's, Denon DMNC6000's, Numark NS7's can be had.

am I really the only one that feels the S4 is WAY overhyped?

Tech Mentor

It's not for everyone, but the majority that have used one love it.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

Tech Guru

Agreed, it's the best Traktor controller only because NI lock down things like jog wheel integration and timecode.

I don't see why they didn't use the super smooth metal pots from Maschine, or the nice clicky buttons from the X1. The headphone socket has been acting up on my last two S4s, yet my Audio 2 DJ is working great. And the small round buttons for FX assign/Load are just awful.

Hope they release some decent update to the S2/4 this year, otherwise I'll stick to X1/CDJ+mixer from now on.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

agree w you 100%, s4 feels like a toy.

fortunately NI seem to be improving build quality with each new product so hopefully the s4 replacement will continue the trend.

Tech Wizard

buddy of mine said good things will be released after NAMM, and I anticipate a furry of cheap S4's (like the one I just sold) to be replaced with the latest flavor.

industry needs something bulky and solid that can be tossed across the room with nary any damage.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Only thing I like is about S2/4 is jogwheel. Would rip it off and install it as adjust for my night lamp

S4mk2 expected:
    -metal pots
    -RGB
    -'flux on' button and center click on FX unit knobs for macro FX (or at least for one fourth knob)
    -possibility to map faders as button type commands!!!
    -decent price...
    Last edited by Stewe; 01-16-2013 at 10:45 AM.

An S4MKII would make my year, I love mine so much already
    If you don't have haters, you're not doing it right

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I think saying that its sucks is misleading, especially to those that dont have one.

Your gripe is with the materials used. The build quality is fine. It's not made of metal. For the materials used it is made well.

You dont say a Banana is made badly because you can crush it. It quality is exactly what it should be for what its made from.

To say its sucks also denies the fact that it does exactly what it should with the software. Being tailor made for the software makes it the perfect Traktor controller for many users (not all).

Basically your saying that you DJ with more force than what the S4 can take which is understandable to a degree cus ive seen some very heavy handed DJ's.

I think maybe you should have gone for a more sturdy unit if your liable to break the S4.

I'd question the need for a controller that can be "thrown around" etc (a point made somewhere in this thread). Stuff needs to be made well but I dont think manufacturers should sell more expensive kit just cus people cant take a bit of obvious care when setting up. Accidents will happen but I dont need my stuff bombproof.

For me, well I have what i'd consider a 'normal' touch (whatever that is) and my S4 has been gigged 4 times a week (not including home use) since before the S4 became retail as I was on the testing team for it so its probably the most used S4 in the world and its still going strong but then Im not a manic knob twisting, fader slamming teenager (Im not saying you are) Im just saying im not.

Tech Wizard

valid points Karlos, yet when i've had to recalibrate my faders almost weekly and deal with bleed issues because I'm using it for what it was built for, it certainly doesn't offer up much faith in using it long term on my end.
    I've seen entry level VCI's go through hell and back without missing a beat (pun intended)...

yet, to your post you are correct...the S4 doesn't "suck"...however to me, the subjective opinionated user...I feel as tho the layout/materials and build quality are quite lackluster for a piece of equipment set at it's price point when placed in comparison to other available.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I totally agree, that my VCI 100 went to hell and back and the S4 would not have taken the stick i gave the VCI (i miss my VCI100).

Strange that you need to recalibrate so much. I rarely do it.

I dunno, I hear great reports and bad reports about the S4 its as though some are made with care and some are made by monkeys, which obviously they arent but there is some disparity.

I certainly wasnt flaming you for your thoughts though, they are totally valid. I was just adding some balance.

I think if NI make a more sturdy controller we can expect the price to reflect it. The trade off? Well im not so tough on my stuff so im happy with the plastic.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast