[Traktor] Beatgridding 'floating' songs like Daft Punk - Da Funk - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The phase meter would only help if the beatgrids were accurate, so strike that suggestion (apart from that I found the phase meter always to lag behind a bit - so it's more distraction than actual help)
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Thanks for all the great feedback and suggestions

I tried to warp the track as an experiment, see picture-attachment also:

warped-dafunk.jpg

Here's what I did:
    - Dragged audio-file on Audio Track 1
    - Set settings to Hi-Q + Set Warp mode to Complex Pro
    - Deleted the warp marker
    - Zoomed in to 1st beat / Placed new warp marker / Right-click marker -> Warp From Here (Straight)
    - Zoomed in to last beat / Double clicked Pseudo Warp Marker / Shifted tune to sync beat with New Warp Marker

Though, that wasnt helpful enough. Now the tune is in sync with the metronome at the beginning and the end of the song.
    In the middle it gets outta sync many times. So I placed a few more markers.
    I'm still not satisfied with the end-result.

Am I doing it right though?

Quote Originally Posted by 3heads View Post
    The phase meter would only help if the beatgrids were accurate, so strike that suggestion (apart from that I found the phase meter always to lag behind a bit - so it's more distraction than actual help)
    The phase meter can also be used as a visual tool to determine how much you need to be out of phase when you are cueing (aka determining in advance how much out of phase you'll be pushing it at when actually playing the track ).
    (Track A playing, cue B, see how out of phase you need to be for it to remain in sync, play B push/pull out of phase to level determined during cue process, fade in, you're synced but not in "phase" (cause the track drifts so nothing you can do about that). This is only a visual tool, your ears do the actual legwork).

The meter is wide for viewing multiple beats ahead and behind.

It's an extremely powerful tool if you now how to work around it.

Quote Originally Posted by bascurtiz View Post
    Thanks for all the great feedback and suggestions

I tried to warp the track as an experiment, see picture-attachment also:

warped-dafunk.jpg

Here's what I did:
    - Dragged audio-file on Audio Track 1
    - Set settings to Hi-Q + Set Warp mode to Complex Pro
    - Deleted the warp marker
    - Zoomed in to 1st beat / Placed new warp marker / Right-click marker -> Warp From Here (Straight)
    - Zoomed in to last beat / Double clicked Pseudo Warp Marker / Shifted tune to sync beat with New Warp Marker

Though, that wasnt helpful enough. Now the tune is in sync with the metronome at the beginning and the end of the song.
    In the middle it gets outta sync many times. So I placed a few more markers.
    I'm still not satisfied with the end-result.

Am I doing it right though?
    more markers, "everywhere" is an absolute if you truly want it synced all the way through.

Quote Originally Posted by johndavid View Post
    The phase meter can also be used as a visual tool to determine how much you need to be out of phase when you are cueing (aka determining in advance how much out of phase you'll be pushing it at when actually playing the track ).
    (Track A playing, cue B, see how out of phase you need to be for it to remain in sync, play B push/pull out of phase to level determined during cue process, fade in, you're synced but not in "phase" (cause the track drifts so nothing you can do about that). This is only a visual tool, your ears do the actual legwork).

The meter is wide for viewing multiple beats ahead and behind.

It's an extremely powerful tool if you now how to work around it.
    I still don't see how the phase meter would be useful with drifting BPMs, because clearly what it displays is based on the beatgrid (what else should it be based on).
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Quote Originally Posted by 3heads View Post
    I still don't see how the phase meter would be useful with drifting BPMs, because clearly what it displays is based on the beatgrid (what else should it be based on).
    Perhaps my wording is poor.

1- We've already determined track B is going to be out of phase.
    2- While cueing up, and while pushing/pulling using tempo bend listening to the track B we can determine how much out of phase(OUT not IN at least visually because in this case it would be wrong, the track drifts) we need to use our headphones to determine how far we need to bend to determine what's needed for the tracks to sound synced. Make a visual note of the out of phase level on the meter.
    3- once we actually start to play track B we replicate this "out of phase" level by tempo bending the track back to the out of phase level we determined previously, this time using the phase meter as our guideline(and double checking by ear as well as one is never too safe ). (It needs to be 2/3rd of a beat out of phase blah blah blah).

Understood?
    I realize it's not direct, but it's faster than having to regrid a track on traktor or warp it in ableton.
    Last edited by johndavid; 01-16-2013 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by johndavid View Post
    Perhaps my wording is poor.

1- We've already determined track B is going to be out of phase.
    2- While cueing up, and while pushing/pulling using tempo bend listening to the track B we can determine how much out of phase(OUT not IN at least visually because in this case it would be wrong, the track drifts) we need to be for the tracks to sound synced. Make a visual note of the out of phase level on the meter.
    3- once we start to play track B we replicate this "out of phase" level by tempo bending the track back to the out of phase level we determined previously, this time using the phase meter as our guideline(and double checking by ear as well as one is never too safe ). (It needs to be 2/3rd of a beat out of phase blah blah blah).

Understood?
    I realize it's not direct, but it's faster than having to regrid a track on traktor or warp it in ableton.
    just tap it innnnnnnnnnnnnnn
    Quote Originally Posted by teambama View Post
    Check out what paris hilton is doing. You can learn a few things from her. She just started out as well....

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Making me feel old, homie...

P.S - that track is an absolute CLASSIC and there are loops a plenty to be used in it! A warped and beatgridded version will bring you hours of fun.
    yep, agree with this, bought the album in HMV Luton I think

and also really like the start of Daniel Davoli's Essential Mix (1996?) with Black Box's 'Everybody' accapella, then Daft Punk's 'Da Funk' drops in, works a treat that (and I've been known to copy this, ahem...).
    Last edited by backtothefront; 01-16-2013 at 07:39 PM.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12