[Traktor] Beatgridding 'floating' songs like Daft Punk - Da Funk
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default [Traktor] Beatgridding 'floating' songs like Daft Punk - Da Funk

Can someone do me a favour and try to beatgrid this oldie Da Funk of Daft Punk?

I’ve tried it a few times and just cant seem to get it. No amount of correction will keep it in sync the whole way.
    I placed a few extra Grid Markers in Traktor where it starts to float, but it looks like I dont have enough Cue points to set to keep it on the grid this way...

How do u guys do it with oldies like disco-tunes that werent made with a drum-computer?
    Or like this song, where my guess is that the song is speeding up on purpose.

Any advice is welcome.

Btw,
    I've checked these 2 tutorials:
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/03/0...n-traktor-pro/

http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/04/2...s-eans-method/
    Last edited by padi_04; 01-16-2013 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Removed DL link

Not really sure you should be posting the full track in here. Could be seen as a form of pirating.

In answer to your question (and I've not checked the track) if its a digital copy beatgridding shouldn't be a problem. Where did you get the original from? If you bought it digitally then it will have a consistent BPM. The only way it could be difficult to grid would be if you recorded this from vinyl on a cheap turntable. If that is the case then you could try warping it in Abletons first. Then beatgrid in traktor.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    If you bought it digitally then it will have a consistent BPM.
    That's not necessarily true, depends on the source material really. Not sure how it is with "Da Funk" (don't have a digital copy), but I got a bunch of older tunes I bought on Beatport, which most certainly do not have a steady BPM (e.g. Paperclip People - Throw).
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

In answer to your question (and I've not checked the track) if its a digital copy beatgridding shouldn't be a problem. Where did you get the original from? If you bought it digitally then it will have a consistent BPM.
    Completely irrelevant IMO.

I have a fair share of digital tracks (and vinyl as well) that have drifting beats, computers run like clockwork, some older drum machines do not, and instruments played live that's an even whole other matter, it's not the medium it's the source that's the problem not the medium (even if these things can happen).

Either
    A- you could warp the track but honestly you would just end up killing the swing of the track.
    One common thing I've noticed with tracks that have drifting beats is that they have way more "swing" and someone work better on a mental level as well. Very abstract to put in words.
    B- Beatgrid the track like there's no tomorrow(you can put multiple beatgrids in traktor) but considering your issue with not having more cue points, just beatgrids intro, mid and outro.
    C- Beatmatch manually . Sync is good, heck I use it a lot, but I always find myself doing manual adjustements shifting the tracks on the fly.
    D- Some tracks are just a pain in the arse to deal with. Work at it!

Not really sure you should be posting the full track in here. Could be seen as a form of pirating.

In answer to your question (and I've not checked the track) if its a digital copy beatgridding shouldn't be a problem. Where did you get the original from? If you bought it digitally then it will have a consistent BPM. The only way it could be difficult to grid would be if you recorded this from vinyl on a cheap turntable. If that is the case then you could try warping it in Abletons first. Then beatgrid in traktor.
    The source is the Album CD "Homework" I bought back in the 90's.
    I ripped it to an MP3-file, so I could use it digital too.

Quote Originally Posted by johndavid View Post
    Completely irrelevant IMO.

I have a fair share of digital tracks (and vinyl as well) that have drifting beats, computers run like clockwork, some older drum machines do not, and instruments played live that's an even whole other matter, it's not the medium it's the source that's the problem not the medium (even if these things can happen).

Either
    A- you could warp the track but honestly you would just end up killing the swing of the track.
    One common thing I've noticed with tracks that have drifting beats is that they have way more "swing" and someone work better on a mental level as well. Very abstract to put in words.
    B- Beatgrid the track like there's no tomorrow(you can put multiple beatgrids in traktor) but considering your issue with not having more cue points, just beatgrids intro, mid and outro.
    C- Beatmatch manually . Sync is good, heck I use it a lot, but I always find myself doing manual adjustements shifting the tracks on the fly.
    D- Some tracks are just a pain in the arse to deal with. Work at it!

A- Hence I dont wanna warp those wonky tracks. Coz their shuffle will be gone.
    B- Great advice actually on the 'intro - mid - outro' section - coz this is where I'd normally would mix the tracks in anyway
    C- Ok, so nomore BeatSync - Do I have to let go of TempoSync with such tracks aswell?
    D- IKR! Just a few of those gems out there, esp. with older tunes, that are played by drummers, but are classics I wanna wrap in the mix ^

[quote="...this oldie Da Funk of Daft Punk?
    [/quote]

Making me feel old, homie...

Personally, I'd warp it in Complex Pro mode, render to disc then beatgrid in Traktor. I wouldn't worry too much about losing the swing/shuffle of the original track. 90+% of people won't even hear a difference.

P.S - that track is an absolute CLASSIC and there are loops a plenty to be used in it! A warped and beatgridded version will bring you hours of fun.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Place a grid on the first beat and then use the tap function to tap it in. Should do the trick!

Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by teambama View Post
    Check out what paris hilton is doing. You can learn a few things from her. She just started out as well....

For tracks with a lot of tempo drift I will find a spot at the beginning to loop where the grid is tight ( or put a grid marker right at the loop) for a mix in point and do the same where I would mix out of it, but leave the rest to drift.

Quote Originally Posted by bascurtiz View Post
    C- Ok, so nomore BeatSync - Do I have to let go of TempoSync with such tracks aswell?
    no no you can still Temposync, but you will have to do manual beat shifting (is that even the term) by nudging the track forwards or backwards with the Tempo bend buttons.
    If you want to better keep track of the bending, activate the Phase meter which will get displayed on top of the waveform. With practice you'll get the hang of it and when cueing up a track you'll notice you need to be "this much in or out of phase" using the phase meter ... haha .. cheating :X.
    Doing tempo bending only takes a few seconds, and you adjust as you go along, especially with drifting tracks.

In the past (ok ... 2 years ago) I used to bother putting multiple grid points when I had drifting tracks but the audible "jumps" when the tracks arrives at these new points was not worth it to me.

Like everything in technology, compromise, and find what's best for you and your needs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast