Upgrade recommendations for the S2???
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Upgrade recommendations for the S2???

Hey guys, ok yes I know there a a bunch of threads similar to mine, but mine is different I swear!

Anyway I would really appreciate your feedback and suggestions on this topic. So...... I've had the S2, for about a year now, and I must be honest, it's one of the best controllers I've ever owned. With it's tight integration to Traktor and great features, there's no wonder it's so popular with everyone. Well as much as I love it, lately I've come to not like it so much anymore.. Firstly I think that I've grown more as a DJ since buying it and I feel slightly limited with it, and also yes as with having R.G.A.S. I've also become quite bored of it.. There are a few things that I miss having on the S2, like dedicated filters, proper LED feedback, more "pro" outputs, better build quality, etc... So after thinking a lot about this, I think I need to move on from the S2, and upgrade to something which will hopefully tick all my boxes.

What I would like to ask is what controller do you think would be a good choice from the S2 that packs more features, has the things that I mentioned, and also works great with Traktor? I've been looking at a few options online, and the more I research the more confused I get hahaha...

So far these are what Im looking at maybe looking into.. (In no specific order)

1. The VCI 400 EGE
    2. The Livid CNTRL:R
    3. Electrix Tweaker
    4. Z2 + X1 Combo

I know that there are other possible options out there, but these stood out to me for their features, size and reputations. I need a controller that's also portable as I travel, and fly a lot, so these options fall into that category, and as you might have seen I'm not so worried about having jogs or not, it's about having a controller thats feature packed, and works with Traktor virtually out the box.

So after reading all of this what would you suggest? Did I miss any possible other controllers? Any suggestions that I should take a look at? Thanks for reading guys. Cheers.

Dustin V
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

Go for the Z2 - it's a real mixer.

Tech Mentor

So 2 decks is all you want? Z2 is kinda heavy for travel, no? Especially compared to the S2.

Quote Originally Posted by botstein View Post
    Go for the Z2 - it's a real mixer.
    Yeah it looks like a solid mixer and with the X1, it would be a great combo IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by HigherFi View Post
    So 2 decks is all you want? Z2 is kinda heavy for travel, no? Especially compared to the S2.
    Well mostly 2 decks although sometimes I do play around with the sample decks. Yes it is heavy, but what I carry now is just as heavy. At the moment I travel with all my gear on me. I carry everything with the UDG Creator trolley. Inside I've got my MBP 15", S2 + decksaver, X1 + bag, A6, bag with all my cables, headphones, control vinyl & CD's, flashlight, powered USB hub, and Crane stand. All in all it comes to around 12-13 kg's. So far I've been lucky with getting through without being checked for carry on weight. I do know that when I get my new controller I will probably need to get a bigger bag..
    2013 MBPr 13" | X1 mk2 | TSP 2 | A6 | DJM 900 nexus | HD 25 UBER Aluminum's | Technics sl1210 mk2's | Logic Pro 9

Tech Wizard

As an S2 owner myself! I would go for the Z2 and maybe a pair of turntables with timecode vinyl and an X1 for ultimate control!
    CHECK OUT MY SOUNDCLOUD BRUH!!!: http://soundcloud.com/fabiioofficial
    Be sure to take a listen to my newest tracks
    15' Macbook Pro l Traktor Scratch Pro 2 Kontrol Z2 l Kontrol D2's l Pioneer PLX 1000's l

Xone DX's are cheap now. Unless you really use the jogs...
    IBM Thinkpad X41 - IBM Thinkpad T60p - Xone 4D - 2x SL1210 - Maschine mk2 white

Z2....move away from all in controllers. Its a Fad.

But then...you traveling....

I am thinking of getting rid of my Xone:22 and Audio 4.....to get the Z2.

But then I will need to get an Audio 2, just for my APC80.

ARG.... choices...choices.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Mentor

Well then, if a mixer isn't too much to carry, I recommend the DENON 1600. Faders feel so good you touch em in passing, just to cop a feel. Map it any way you want it, and it's a real mixer. The Z2 is a controller in a mixer case.

Quote Originally Posted by HigherFi View Post
    The Z2 is a controller in a mixer case.
    Exactly why I love my Z2 ;-) To the OP, after going through countless controllers just like you, I have realized that the feel of a real mixer is just unmatched. Only thing in my eyes that can top the Z2 would be a Z4. Good luck choosing dude!

VCI-400, or 380 if you want a smaller controller. The 380 has the advantage of being ITCH (soon to be serato DJ) certified, although I know you're not really bothered about that, but it's also got velocity and pressure sensitive pads which could be mapped to samples for finger drumming fun.

Legendary vestax VCI build quality for standing up to your travel abuse.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast