Studio Monitor Question
    Tech Mentor

Default Studio Monitor Question

I've had the Alesis M1 Active 620's for about 5 years. They're loud and crisp, but I'm dealing with the "blue light of death" for the 3rd time on the pair. When I soldered a new capacitor in again, I burned and lifted the trace. Honestly, I don't feel like paying the money to have it repaired and want to go in a new direction. My back up monitors are Blue Sky's. They're really accurate and nice. However, I use my monitors for production and dj'ing, so I want lots of low end when I DJ. How are the KRK 10 subs? I can snag a used one for about $200. Would I be better off with some Rockit 8's or the Blue Sky's with the sub? Any suggestions? I really just want it for dj'ing. I play drum and bass, so dnb without any low end is pointless. I probably wouldn't use the sub to produce. I've had problems with my mixes being way too subby in the past with a dedicated subwoofer.

You can get a sub for the Blue sky's. We've got em at my work.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Subs are hard to set in a nearfield environment. Have you "pinked" the space with your monitors with a sub?
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    You can get a sub for the Blue sky's. We've got em at my work.
    The Blue Sky sub is harder to find and a bit more expensive. I'm really trying to get the most bang for the buck in a system that's versatile enough for producing and dj'ing. I have a limited budget and limited space. I'm leaning towards grabbing the KRK sub with the Blue Sky monitors and going from there. The one real problem with that system is I'm afraid it won't have much mid range punch. The Blue Sky's are incredibly accurate, but this is dance music.

Tech Wizard

If youre not going to produce with the sub (which i suggest you don't) then pick up a used krk or equivalent on craigslist.

depending on your room and acoustic treatment, it will most likely be a nightmare to try to use it to produce and mix a track down anyways. if you just want some thump for dj'ing, any sub in the range will likely do.

If I were you, Id sell the blues and take the money towards a sub for some bigger 8" monitors.

Sorry, Blue Sky lacks way too much definition if you would ask me.

Best bang for buck for me, and I have compared about 30 pairs in this segment, Mackie MR-5.
    For me MR5's 5 inch woofers are enough as my studio is smaller than 20 square meters.
    Princing around €169 per unit.

And to be honest, I prefer mixing in stereo, than in surround.
    Last edited by tekki; 01-20-2013 at 03:06 PM.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Wizard

I have the mackie 5.25 studio monitors and the KRK 10 and its a slammin system. I really really like the low-end that the KRK brings

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Dice140 View Post
    If youre not going to produce with the sub (which i suggest you don't) then pick up a used krk or equivalent on craigslist.

depending on your room and acoustic treatment, it will most likely be a nightmare to try to use it to produce and mix a track down anyways. if you just want some thump for dj'ing, any sub in the range will likely do.

If I were you, Id sell the blues and take the money towards a sub for some bigger 8" monitors.
    This is what I'd prefer to do, but the one of the Blue Sky's has a small bubble on the edge of the woofer. It doesn't affect the sound, but I wouldn't feel comfortable selling it to anyone. It may have a short life span. I have 2 sets of monitors, only 3 of the 4 work and the working pair don't fit what I want to do with them. The Blue Sky's just don't have the low end for mixing or dj'ing. They're part of a 3 way set. Like you said, I don't like making beats with a sub. I might just take all the Blue Sky's and the Alesis' to a pawn shop, see what I can get and put that money towards some KRK 8's.

How's the thump on the Rokit 8's?

The Rokit 8s are nice, decent low end. I actually slightly prefer M-Audio BX8 D2s for DJing, I feel like the low hits a little harder but it's just preference.