getting gigs
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting gigs

Default getting gigs

Hi everyone, I've been djing for a little more then a year now and i think i am ready to start playing at gigs. I heard from other people that to get gigs you need to be a promoter for an event and in exchange you get gigs (what i heard). I was wondering, if this is the case then how do i start becoming a promoter? Who do i talk to?
    Another question i have which might sound kinda stupid but i have to ask. Does dj gear really matter? Like, if you see a dj djing at a gig with anything less then cdj's or turntables then does it matter?
    -Thank you

club:

check who puts on events there,make contact with them,give them a mix

bar:

speak to manager/person in charge see if they have a dj or need a dj,give them mix

simple.

I looked up all the "crews" around my area on facebook and added them and liked their fanpages. I get spammed all the shows in my area on a daily basis. Great information to a DJ. You would be surprised how many guys actually NEED help. With established DJ "crews", there's usually a leader with an often tough group of DJ's to manage. When you're ready .. tastefully reach out and express how you can ADD VALUE to their service.

Another thing that REALLY helped me was ... without me knowing ... my friends were spreading the word. I'm pretty known in my area for being a producer, so there was a lot people excited to see what I did live. That lead to opportunities. When you get them. Be VERY professional .. deliver the goods ... and that will = referrals.

You just have to go do it. If you want to be awesome at golf. You gotta kick it on the course.
    My debut EP is FINISHED!! Now back to being a DJ!!

http://soundcloud.com/iambreed <-- NEW EP! "Hello. My Name is Breed"

#RESPECT

For a club work hard on an interesting, different, not generic MiniMix (about 15-25 mins). Make sure this mix emphasizes your taste, style and techniques (make sure its the best you could possibly do). Put this mix on sound cloud, mix cloud, dropbox or something of the sort, then spread the link! Send it to as many promoters/club owners as you can, also post the link on club and promotion Facebook pages.
    Dont be bogged down by rejections. Happens to the best of us and is inevitable.

good luck!!

DON`T EVER EVER SPAM!!!
    become part of your local night life scene, make friends with fellow djs/promoters. get to know the scene etc.
    getting gigs should take itīs time. you donīt need to be a promoter. sure, if you are running your own nights and the crowd digs it, the scene will notice it. but donīt rush it and donīt lose track!!!!
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Quote Originally Posted by joshmlevi View Post
    For a club work hard on an interesting, different, not generic MiniMix (about 15-25 mins). Make sure this mix emphasizes your taste, style and techniques (make sure its the best you could possibly do). Put this mix on sound cloud, mix cloud, dropbox or something of the sort, then spread the link! Send it to as many promoters/club owners as you can, also post the link on club and promotion Facebook pages.
    Dont be bogged down by rejections. Happens to the best of us and is inevitable.

good luck!!
    This is horrible advice!

I'm completely with Ed on this one. Getting to know people in the scene is the way to go in any case. Promoting your own night is probably the quickest way to success, but has its own problems and risks - and is also a good bit of work.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

i forgot to add: youīll hardly find a promoter who will listen to your mixtapes.
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Tech Mentor

Make friends with all the right people, if you're not sure who those people are it's the ones you see at almost every event you go to in the related scene. I figured out who all those people were in my scene within a month, they usually stand out. Make friends with them, hang out, let em know you spin when you can (but don't force it).

It may take some time or you can land something quick, but as with everything in this world, knowing the right people can get you ANYTHING.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Paris View Post
    DON`T EVER EVER SPAM!!!
    become part of your local night life scene, make friends with fellow djs/promoters. get to know the scene etc.
    getting gigs should take itīs time. you donīt need to be a promoter. sure, if you are running your own nights and the crowd digs it, the scene will notice it. but donīt rush it and donīt lose track!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3heads View Post
    This is horrible advice!

I'm completely with Ed on this one. Getting to know people in the scene is the way to go in any case. Promoting your own night is probably the quickest way to success, but has its own problems and risks - and is also a good bit of work.
    Definitely agree with this, go to the clubs, meet and make pals with the others DJ's/Promoters, don't act 'the big I am' - no one likes a cocky unknown, it is a big put off, very important is to be supportive of the local club nights and go as a punter. Also try to put on your own nights as has already been mentioned, don't expect to be given a w'end night, it'll be mid week to start with, it is very hard work, I've done it a few times and it takes up a lot of time, the DJing part is probably 1% of the whole effort in my experience. But ultimately it can be very rewarding.
    20+ years man & boy, working the platters that matter. D3EP DJ.

Ok, thank you everyone for your advice! Especially you Ed Paris...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast