manually beatmatching using a controller? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

dont know if this was mentioned above but also depending on your CONTROLLER
    See if you can turn OFF
    Quantize as well as SNAP,
    That way not only can you do fully manual beatmatching but if you want to set loops
    youll be setting the IN/OUT manually on those too .

Quote Originally Posted by dfinch805 View Post
    if you have a laptop you just close it and it will still let you mix with the laptop closed (at least for me). and so you match with no screen at all and then open it when you think you're close
    Don't try this with a Mac, at least not in a live situation.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

I mapped the DDJ-T1 to VDJ in midi and It is actually really hard to beatmatch using the jogs to nudge because the stupid things don't start sending midi until you reach a certain velocity. this means fine adjustments are close to impossible if you are used to anything else. (It may be different in HID but pioneer wouldn't provide me with the schematic).

Also the Pitch fader is only 7bit midi so not capable of the high resolution of the current generation of controllers.. If I were you I'd sell the Pioneer and get a Reloop Terminal mix 4 as it has a long 14 bit fader great components "better feeling than the pioneer" and better much jogs.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sunshine View Post
    This is a rather common DJ technique called, "being a twat." It's not incredibly necessary, so I'd avoid learning for now.
    Are you saying beat matching isn't necessary? :what: or being a twat isn't? :P
    Last edited by firebr4nd; 01-18-2013 at 05:05 AM.
    2 x CDJ 850 | Kontrol S4 | A&H Xone XD-53's | A&H Xone K2 | Kontrol X1 | Kontrol F1 | DJM 900nxs

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    Also the Pitch fader is only 7bit midi so not capable of the high resolution of the current generation of controllers.. If I were you I'd sell the Pioneer and get a Reloop Terminal mix 4 as it has a long 14 bit fader great components "better feeling than the pioneer" and better much jogs.
    for a "CDJ feel" and manual beatmatching I would recommend Denon SC2000 or upcoming Behringer PL-1

Last edited by SlayForMoney; 01-18-2013 at 06:31 AM.

Tech Wizard

why cant you manually beat match with a controller ? just dont look at your laptop ?

you've got tempo control and you can control cues so i cant see why you cant learn to beatmatch plus its a pioneer unit so i presume the tempo controls should be pretty dann good!

my advice would be

1)hide the phase as this will help you learn the makeup of a track rather than the software telling you..
    2) try mixing it up like mixing hiphop with DnB or to totally different genres with different tempo's
    3) dont press the sync button!
    4) keep at it until its in beat!
    5) learn to make corrections... when your playing out you cant hit the reset button! ( so learn to overcome mistakes/mishaps..)
    Last edited by MRG12EG; 01-18-2013 at 01:42 PM.

Using sync isn't a big deal, but learning to beatmatch is. It's extrememely vital if your readout is wrong or whatever else happens. Here's a great set of tutorials on beatmatching that should get you started...

pm me if you have any questions
    Quote Originally Posted by teambama View Post
    Check out what paris hilton is doing. You can learn a few things from her. She just started out as well....

actually i cant believe we have this topic going for so long lol

Quote Originally Posted by dfinch805 View Post
    if you have a laptop you just close it and it will still let you mix with the laptop closed (at least for me). and so you match with no screen at all and then open it when you think you're close
    Most laptops default at going to sleep when you close the lid. I wouldnt recommend changing that, but if you do make sure to have the screen turn off. You can cook your laptop if you let it run too long with the lid closed.
    tsp 2.5 | vci-400 ege | mfspectra | kontrol x1s | rokit 8s (ferrari grey) | krk 10 sub | audio 8
    hp dv6 - i5 - 8gb | maschine | mpk49 | apc40 | rokit 5s | technics sl-1200mk3ds | cdj100s
    thread of free music

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123