What Next? Could use help picking a dedicated controller for Effects.
    Tech Wizard

Default What Next? Could use help picking a dedicated controller for Effects.

Good Morning TechToolers,

I've been learning and using Traktor for ~1.5 years now, and one area where I'm really lacking is the use of effects. I rarely use them now and lately I've been on a quest to learn how to effectively use them. I've been digging through old posts here, watching YouTube tutorials, Scouring Traktor Bible & the NI forums, even decided to RTF(Traktor)M on the effects.

Here's my current setup, a VCI-100 that I've loaded the 1.4 Firmware on with the newest DJTT mapping and an F1 to the right of it.
    Current Setup.jpg

I really love the combination, but aside from the JogFX and some effects samples I've added to some of my remix sets I really don't use any effects. The DJTT mapping for the VCI-100 is really tight and slick (not to mention quite complex), and I hate the idea of screwing around with it much. I think the layout of the F1 is brilliant as-is, and I don't want to alter its functionality to use it for effects.

I guess that leaves me wanting to get another controller to use on the left side of the VCI (or maybe behind it). This is where I could use a hand. Basically I need something modular\smallish with a bunch of knobs and some buttons. I want to have a couple of super knobs, some dedicated knobs for some of the new Traktor macroFX, and optimally the instant grat fx or the ability to map them.

So, here are my current candidates.

NI X1: Kind of a no-brainer. 12 knobs, bunch of buttons, HID, matches the aesthetics of the F1, already awesome effects mappings for it. Downside is it's a bit pricey for what it is and ???

Xone K2: Probably better build quality than anything else but MF, more knobs, 4 faders (although don't need them for this purpose), sound card (not necessary, but handy). Downside is it's even more than the X1 and ???

Korg LPD8: Cheap, 8 knobs and 8 pads, multiple banks, small. Downside is less controls than the X1 or K2, don't really need the pads for this purpose (I guess you can use them like buttons?)

Akai NanoControl2: Mad Cheap, 8 knobs, 8 faders, bunch of buttons, small. Downside is reportedly cheap\toyish build quality and ???

BehringerCMD???: The new CMD line has a few controllers that look like tons of knobs, faders, buttons, etc. Downside is they're still unobtanium.

MFPro or 3D: Brilliant effects controls and combos out of the box. Downside, $$ and not many knobs to play with if you're looking to map a bunch of superknobs.

So, I'd love some input from the community on any of the above, or any other similar controllers that I'm overlooking altogether.

Cheers and thank in advance.

I got a k2 and its the best buy I've ever made. It's really solid and the mapping possibilities are incredible. I like it MUCH more than my x1. Since I use a z2 and I plan on buying another k2, I use one per deck, with deck c and d volume faders and eq and gain control as well as full fx and cue points. The only thing I dislike about it, is that the LEDs are either on or off, there's no changing how bright they are from what I've been trying to do :/ but defiantly a great piece of kit
    Macbook 13" 4 gb ram, traktor pro 2.6, kontrol x1, Kontrol z2, kontrol f1, midi fighter spectra, midi fighter 3d,
    Text, let's talk about edm or mixing! 831-801-1774

Also (IMO) it has the best functionality (to fit my needs) and I got rid of my midi fighters for it!
    Macbook 13" 4 gb ram, traktor pro 2.6, kontrol x1, Kontrol z2, kontrol f1, midi fighter spectra, midi fighter 3d,

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by dubyou View Post
    I got a k2 and its the best buy I've ever made. It's really solid and the mapping possibilities are incredible. I like it MUCH more than my x1. Since I use a z2 and I plan on buying another k2, I use one per deck, with deck c and d volume faders and eq and gain control as well as full fx and cue points. The only thing I dislike about it, is that the LEDs are either on or off, there's no changing how bright they are from what I've been trying to do :/ but defiantly a great piece of kit
    That's a pretty glowing review. From what I can see there isn't really anything in a similar format the touches it. When I look at the layout I pretty much see a ton of knobs and a grid to adapt the MF type mappings to.

My only real "issue" with it is the price. 3 bills for what is going to be for me, an add-on controller, seems a bit steep. Would have been amazing if they'd also released a sans-soundcard version for ~$200. That being said, there are times that spending the extra jack is worth it, I don't buy new gear that often so maybe I should splurge.

Speaking from purely and aesthetic point of view, X1. That VCI will look right at home with an X1 and F1 on each side. I love my X1, it is VERY solidly built, despite being plastic. Its hard solid plastic.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Mentor

I like my k2 a lot. It is super versatile and I have not fully explored all the possibilities but because of the sounds card and functionality, the k2 remains relevant as my set up evolves which is nice.

I made a mapping based on ean goldens jam on it for the k2 as well, very nice. I still have my x1, it's defiantly quality build! I like its build better than their all in ones (s2,s4). But for the price in either unit, you get what you pay for. Deffinatly worth the extra bucks. If you want your money's worth, find a used (but like new) x1. I have a few in my area for 100-125 like new.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    Speaking from purely and aesthetic point of view, X1. That VCI will look right at home with an X1 and F1 on each side. I love my X1, it is VERY solidly built, despite being plastic. Its hard solid plastic.
    As much as I hate to admit it, this has definitely occurred to me. The K2 looks to be a good 3-4 inches deeper than the X1\F1, which are already a good 1" deeper than the VCI. I couldn't see giving up a ton of functionality for looks, but since used X1's are pretty plentiful it's actually aesthetics + ~$170 difference vs the added functionality.

I need to dig through the mapping page further to see if I can find the X1 mapping I seem to remember seeing a few months back. It was set up with a bunch of superknobs and some of the instant grat FX if I remember right. Always nice when somebody else has done a lot of the pre-work for you.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by SparkDogg View Post
    As much as I hate to admit it, this has definitely occurred to me. The K2 looks to be a good 3-4 inches deeper than the X1\F1, which are already a good 1" deeper than the VCI. I couldn't see giving up a ton of functionality for looks, but since used X1's are pretty plentiful it's actually aesthetics + ~$170 difference vs the added functionality.

I need to dig through the mapping page further to see if I can find the X1 mapping I seem to remember seeing a few months back. It was set up with a bunch of superknobs and some of the instant grat FX if I remember right. Always nice when somebody else has done a lot of the pre-work for you.
    Its a $100-125 difference going from a USED x1 to a NEW K2. new to new its probably under 100