VST designed laptop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default VST designed laptop

Hey, it is time to get me a new laptop, but my knowledge ends on gaming things and I dont know what spec's is best for using vst plugins, abelton and traktor...
    My aim is to get i7 core, loads of ram and probably intel graphichs or nvdia, I'm not sure about AMD or athlon.
    Anyway what will work best for music production or mixing (mainly I'm mixing with 4-deck controller,) + if I add some more controllers?
    And the last question is do I need a separate sound card if controller has one? How latency is affected by sound card? Thanks!
    -Ableton suite- -Traktor- -Kontrol Z1- -Kontrol X1- -Oxygen 49- -BX8- -HD25II- -Buddha-

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by Kazkox View Post
    Hey, it is time to get me a new laptop, but my knowledge ends on gaming things and I dont know what spec's is best for using vst plugins, abelton and traktor...
    My aim is to get i7 core, loads of ram and probably intel graphichs or nvdia, I'm not sure about AMD or athlon.
    Anyway what will work best for music production or mixing (mainly I'm mixing with 4-deck controller,) + if I add some more controllers?
    Macbook Pro (someones going to say it)

Quote Originally Posted by Kazkox View Post
    And the last question is do I need a separate sound card if controller has one? How latency is affected by sound card? Thanks!
    No you wont need a soundcard. Any decent controller will have decent latency.

Also reccommend you do a search for DJ laptop, topic comes up at least once a week and theres tons of threads on the subject.

I would honestly recommend this computer .... I have the same one except its the brushed steel one with beats audio. Better then a MAC BOOK in my opinion and way cheaper. I run ableton with vst's all the time never have had any problems with it hp.jpg

I would just go for a MacBook Pro.

Quote Originally Posted by kadeunit View Post
    I would honestly recommend this computer .... I have the same one except its the brushed steel one with beats audio. Better then a MAC BOOK in my opinion and way cheaper. I run ableton with vst's all the time never have had any problems with it hp.jpg
    OSX has standard features like MIDI over LAN/MIDI over WiFi and sound device aggregation.
    With windows this does not work properly, is not supported natively, you have to run exotic applications for it.

That and it being more of a hassle free OS, wins me over any time.

Yes, I have been windows based for yonks, but after enduring windows OS for more than 15 years, and also supporting it on professional level, I went for mac.
    These days I still wonder why it took me this long to go for mac!
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Tech Mentor

I built a Custom ASUS laptop Dual SSD Drives, 24 GB of Ram, Custom LED Lighting 17 inch. More power than the 15 Inch Mac Book Pro can dish out for a much cheaper price.

FIrst choose the OS you are comfortable with and go from there. Its about ease of use for the user, there is no better choice over the other unless you are strapped for cash and simply cant spend another 500 bucks to get your moneys worth.

most laptops can handle the tasks these days... i would reccomend something designed with low noise (properly grounded motherboard) like a lenovo or a mac, which ever floats your boat. both have their advantages and both can run windows, mac and linux

i have had some success with some toshibas as well.

seems there are choices, but it is limited with a budged I got, which sucks now... anyways a random laptop with mac os? sounds interesting.
    I got some problems with latency, when I set up asio4all on 512samples (default) I get 36ms on traktor, if I set it on terminalmix4 I get 20ms which cannot be adjusted, but why asio is so high? If I try to decrease samples on asio then I can hear craks and pops...
    -Ableton suite- -Traktor- -Kontrol Z1- -Kontrol X1- -Oxygen 49- -BX8- -HD25II- -Buddha-

OMG integrated Beats audio? Talk about 0 latency! If Dr. Dre uses that s*it it must be the best.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Mah hard: S2, Mikro, F1, 13.3" MBP. Mah soft: Traktor, Maschine, Kontakt, Massive.

Well I hope the problem is solved with latency, downloaded win asio driver from reloop forums, and it gives more options on such things like latency, if I hear any pops or cracks then it must be my crappy old laptop. Seem that if traktor is set on REALTIME in task mananger it is more stable then.

I never liked beats, never tryed them, but is it really that good for at latency, delay time?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast