S4 or VCI-400?

Thread: S4 or VCI-400?

Default S4 or VCI-400?

I've been mixing with my Numark N4 for a year and a half now, and I feel like my ability is outgrowing what that mixer can do. I'm saving up for a new mixer and controller, so which is better, the VCI-400, Traktor Kontrol S4, or something else I'm not thinking of? List some pros and cons, and feel free to bring up some new mixers I'm not thinking of.

From just looking at the N4 ( as I haven't used one) there doesn't seem to be a big difference in the controls it has compared to the S4 or VCI400. You may be upgrading to a better build quality with the VCI, or better Traktor integration and DVS upgrade possiblility with the S4, but neither would be a huge change from the N4 in how the controls work. The N4 is the only one out of the 3 with an actual stand alone (hardware) mixer that doesn't need software to work. BTW The VCI400 and S4 are controllers with mixer sections, not really what most call a mixer.

To spice things up you could add a F1 or midifighter to your setup.

In my opinion, the next step up from an all-in-one controller would be a real mixer like the NI Z2, a DJM, or Xone; and either turntables, CD players, or modular controllers like the X1 and F1.

Actually, the vci 400 can be used as a standalone mixer. Vestax gave it some new firmware a half year ago.

Switching to a modular setup seems the most reasonable upgrade.
    DJM-750 | 2 x Technics 1200 | Audio 10 | Midifighter Classic | Midifighter Twister | Kontrol X1|  MBP 13"

Quote Originally Posted by VanGogo View Post
    From just looking at the N4 ( as I haven't used one) there doesn't seem to be a big difference in the controls it has compared to the S4 or VCI400. You may be upgrading to a better build quality with the VCI, or better Traktor integration and DVS upgrade possiblility with the S4, but neither would be a huge change from the N4 in how the controls work. The N4 is the only one out of the 3 with an actual stand alone (hardware) mixer that doesn't need software to work. BTW The VCI400 and S4 are controllers with mixer sections, not really what most call a mixer.

To spice things up you could add a F1 or midifighter to your setup.

In my opinion, the next step up from an all-in-one controller would be a real mixer like the NI Z2, a DJM, or Xone; and either turntables, CD players, or modular controllers like the X1 and F1.
    The N4 has no hot cue buttons and is only compatible with Serato DJ Intro and Virtual DJ LE. I would like to start employing remix decks and all the other awesome things Traktor has to offer. I was actually thinking of buying a bundle with one of the controllers I listed and a Midi Fighter Pro though

Gotcha. I use the S4 and have been happy with it, but as its 3 years old now I expect something new from NI is probably not far away.
    You can pick up a used one at a good price though.
    If you want to use remix decks you will need an F1 to get the most out of them, or a midifighter 3D. I'm not sure if the remix deck hack for the midifighters work on the MF pro. You'll need to look and make sure if that is what you want to use it for.