How much should an amateur DJ charge hourly?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How much should an amateur DJ charge hourly?

By amateur I don't mean I'm new it's more that this is first big thing I've gotten asked to do (beside a few small parties I've done). It's and open house for three friends of mine and they plan on inviting our entire senior class so it could be around 200 people. I'm mainly doing it for the exposure but I'd still like to make some money.

>House party.
    >With friends.
    >Wants money.
    Throw out a tip bucket.

I mean you can always talk to the owner of the house/party to see if they're going to make moeny off it, but I doubt that's going to work tbh.
    //Soundcloud//DeviantART//Need a custom dj logo? *Temporarily Closed, check thread for details* //
    Set up = Numark iDJ3 :: Akai MPK Mini :: Novation LaunchPad ::

Tech Convert

If it's close friends, I usually won't charge. Just some free liquor and if they are making money off the party I will ask for $50-$100 for my time..

If it is some people I don't know well, I will charge about 50/hour. They usually complain until the end of the night when they realize I turned the party from typical to "the best party ever".

If they want to throw you something, let them, but if it's just a house party with a bunch of good friends, I say you do it for almost nothing. Plus, you will look like a god amongst all the 17 yr old girls there And that is priceless. haha

Tech Mentor

I did a a party for a close friend and asked $40 for a few hours of DJing just because it covers gas + any inconveniences. Obviously 10-13 dollars an hour isnt an actual wage but if its a friend and you want money, ask for a pretty low amount.

Tech Wizard

I think 40 bucks are a good average.

Tech Mentor

50 bucks

All depends if they're making a profit or not, and if you were invited to the party. If they ARE making a substantial profit from the event you should get a payout. If you were not invited to the party other than to DJ, you should also charge a small fee. However, if their goal is to break even at best, and you are a friend who was initially invited to attend the party, I don't think it would be right to charge them.. take the exposure, give out your number and hope for free beer
    13" Mbp i7 | TMA-1 | Tech 1200's | RANE TTM-57 | NI Audio 4 | Kontrol S4 | F1 | KrK Rokit 5s

I would request a full tank of gas and help moving the equipment. Real friends will realize there is transportation and real labor involved. They'll probably pay next time.
    Used Record Shopper

giving my current situation when ever i am asked to perform for friends i never ask for money... i just ask if i could please get an hour in after the rest of the lineup. i should also state that 2/3 of my friends are musicians.

The good/bad thing is that I'm the only one at my school serious into djing/producing so I often feel a bit alone since people dont know all the artist I talk about

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast