Speakers + Headset
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Speakers + Headphones

I'm starting to learn how to DJ in my spare time, and I'm shopping for Speakers + Headphones.

Speakers:
    I travel for work a lot, and I need a speaker set that I can pack into my suitcase easily.

I'm going to use these speakers to practice in my hotel room and play at a friend's dinner party. I know the power will be limited, and I'll have another set for when I'm at home. This is only for travel.

I've been looking at this:
    Logitech - Z313 2.1-Channel Speaker System (3-Piece)

+++

Headset:
    I hear 2 sides. One is pay for the high-end $350 - Dr. Dre and the other is go for the basic one $179 - Pioneer. Upgrade after your skills progress.

What's your opinion?

Thanks.
    Last edited by pete7; 01-23-2013 at 10:52 AM.

Ok if you really want THOSE speakers which aren't exactly for dj-ing but some seem to like the sound,

you will NEED a cable like this (pretty cheap): Hi-Speed-3-5mm-1-8-Female-Stereo-Jack-to-2-Male-RCA-Plugs-Cable.jpg
    or you could get another set of speakers with rca in so you can directly plug into mixer

-
    btw what kind of controller/mixer do you have now?
    and what is the brand of the headphone? /s
    -
    About the headphones: that's personal, some like to "upgrade" from time to time. I don't I'd go for the "high-end"
    but if you like to "upgrade" from time to time: you could go with the basics.

Tech Guru

If you have yet to buy speakers and are looking for something portable I'd avoid any 2.1 systems.
    Either go with a passive or active set of standard 2.0 left/right speakers from a decent brand.

I hope by "headset" you mean headphones, a typical microphone headset will be pretty poor compared to standalone headphones.
    The Sennheiser HD 25 II are pretty much the standard and are about $250; there isn't really a clear upgrade from this for DJing use.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by 32Digits View Post
    Ok if you really want THOSE speakers which aren't exactly for dj-ing but some seem to like the sound,

you will NEED a cable like this (pretty cheap): Hi-Speed-3-5mm-1-8-Female-Stereo-Jack-to-2-Male-RCA-Plugs-Cable.jpg
    or you could get another set of speakers with rca in so you can directly plug into mixer

-
    btw what kind of controller/mixer do you have now?
    and what is the brand of the headphone? /s
    -
    About the headphones: that's personal, some like to "upgrade" from time to time. I don't I'd go for the "high-end"
    but if you like to "upgrade" from time to time: you could go with the basics.
    Traktor S2.

I haven't purchased the headphones yet.

Great controller S2

Between which headphones are you choosing?
    Last edited by 32Digits; 01-23-2013 at 10:55 AM.
    NI Traktor Kontrol S4 - Sennheiser HD 25 - MF SPECTRA

Tech Convert

Pioneer - low / Dr. Dre - high

Quote Originally Posted by pete7 View Post
    Pioneer - low / Dr. Dre - high
    Why don't go with the Pioneer HDJ-2000's? or Sennheiser HD 25 (These been even 20y+ on the market) - special adidas edition is really nice in clubs with the blue

I got a senn 25, but if they EVERY break - I know people who have them already 18years only replaced the pads -
    I'd go for a Vmoda Crossfade lp, they look amazing, good sound quality, but they can't rotate,

HDJ-2000-2.jpg
    636913462_tp.jpg
    v-moda-crossfire-lp-e3.jpg

They also wrote an article on the blog : http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/12/0...ones-reviewed/

and as you might notice from the comment section below that: there are a lot of 'dissapointed' dj's who think HD25 should've been included/won.

Anyway my best Advice is: go try them out in a local store! Because

1) it needs to sit good on your head, not mine (for hours!)
    2) the sound must be representative/HQ clean and not boosted - for example Beats mostly boost their bass
    3) you must like it, not I
    NI Traktor Kontrol S4 - Sennheiser HD 25 - MF SPECTRA

Tech Mentor

whatever you do dont spend 350$ on frikken beats. waste of money.

I got Audio Technica ATHM50s for 110$ shipped. Awesome headphones. really geared for production, sound wise but for Djing just need to hear the track, could careless about sound quality for Djing for cueing. But great for production, sound wise.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    If you have yet to buy speakers and are looking for something portable I'd avoid any 2.1 systems.
    Either go with a passive or active set of standard 2.0 left/right speakers from a decent brand.

I hope by "headset" you mean headphones, a typical microphone headset will be pretty poor compared to standalone headphones.
    The Sennheiser HD 25 II are pretty much the standard and are about $250; there isn't really a clear upgrade from this for DJing use.
    > Thanks. What brand / model do you recommend that's small enough to pack in a suitcase?

Tech Mentor

Why bother getting speakers to pack into a suitcase and lug around all the time? If you're staying in hotels all the time, you are gonna better served just practicing in your headphones.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast