Studio Monitors: Mackie MR5 vs. KRK RP5 G2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Studio Monitors: Mackie MR5 vs. KRK RP5 G2

Hey guys,

Im getting my hands on studio monitors and I want to remain in the $300-400 (pair) range. The only two that jumped out at me in this range are the Mackie MR5s and the KRK RP5s. This will be my first pair of studio monitors and I don't want anything crazy. Im getting mixed reviews online for both, so if anyone has had first hand experience with them, please do share. I'll be using them for electronic music (house, tech house, etc).

Which one would you get?

Thanks again

I'm also looking at the exact same speakers. Today I will go to my local speaker dealer and listen to both. I also dig in to some reviews. Turns out that allot of people have the krk's. Most are very happy with them. But on the Dutch eBay site all you can find are krk's.

One ad for the Mackie MR5. Less reviews but all reviews were positive. I think that the krk's are overrated and hyped.

But then again I have to go and listen. That is the only advice I can give you at the moment. GO out and listen.
    DJ Kontrol S2 || Traktor 2.6 || MBP 15" 16G Retina || MACKIE MR5 MKII ||

Prod. PC Duo Core || 22" LG || Ableton Live 9 || AKAI MPK mini

I have been to the music store today.

Tested three products.

KRK RP5 Rocket
    Mackie MR5
    Sennheiser HD25 C-II

You can't go wrong with the Sennheiser HD25 C-II. Realy light headphone with exellent build quality. But you are intrested in the speakers.

First I heard the Mackie's. Good overal sound. Good balance in high and low. They are a little bit bigger then the KRK RP5's but that's just not an issue for me.

Now the KRK's. I immediately hear the difference. And it is not what I expected. The KRK's sounded less good. Not the low sound that I read about in all the reviews.

So for me it is a clear choice. Mackie MR5 it is

Good luck with your orientation!

Got MR5s in my attic studio as well, I have tested more than 30 pairs of monitors in this price range, and for me these came out teh best on every genre I pitched at them.

They even ended up holding their ground properly against more expensive monitors easily.
    (Sound quality even comes close to the highly acclaimed Mackie HR-624.)
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)
    -- CHECK our DEBUT (DEEP)HOUSE EP RELEASE ON BEATPORT "RSTRCTD - EXISTENCE" --

Quote Originally Posted by tekki View Post
    Got MR5s in my attic studio as well, I have tested more than 30 pairs of monitors in this price range, and for me these came out teh best on every genre I pitched at them.

They even ended up holding their ground properly against more expensive monitors easily.
    (Sound quality even comes close to the highly acclaimed Mackie HR-624.)
    Good to hear that my ears are still in tact after 19 years of raving

Yo ! I'm also looking for some monitors on these range. I did a search in all the trusted websites that i know, and i found the m-audio bx 8a and samson resolv a8 for about 260€, and krk rpg5 for about 300€. Thing is, everybody tells me that i should buy a 8" monitor, because otherwise i wont be able to feel the bass in my mixes. Is this true? Or should i go for 5"s or 6"s instead? I mainly mix deep, and tech house, and sometimes hiphop classics.

5 or 8 inch all depends on the room you are using them in. If it's less than 5 by 5 meters, don't bother buying 8 inch monitors, otherwise you will be blowing your ears in no time.

Quality over quantity also counts when talking sound volume.
    RSTRCTD | twitter | facebook (RSTRCTD) facebook (LJ) | vimeo | pinterest | my studio | soundcloud (RSTRCTD)| soundcloud (LJ)

Quote Originally Posted by tekki View Post
    5 or 8 inch all depends on the room you are using them in. If it's less than 5 by 5 meters, don't bother buying 8 inch monitors, otherwise you will be blowing your ears in no time.

Quality over quantity also counts when talking sound volume.
    But the size of the woofer is not only important for volume, but rather for the rendering of the low end frequencies. And I have my doubts, how much 5" woofers can deliver there.
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Quote Originally Posted by 3heads View Post
    But the size of the woofer is not only important for volume, but rather for the rendering of the low end frequencies. And I have my doubts, how much 5" woofers can deliver there.
    Trust me on this one, I know several professionals who deliver on 5 and 6 inch monitors.

If you take 8 inch woofers, you need space for that prolonged soundwave to form. If your walls are too close, your basssound will not be able to form properly.

Could you elaborate on that? Might be my lacking understanding of acoustics, but why should the space needed for the "basssound to form properly" be dependent on the woofer size? The wavelength should only be dependent on the frequency of the sound produced, right?

Btw, I don't doubt that the MR5s are great speakers, and I know that woofer size certainly is not the only thing figuring into the bass produced by a speaker (for example, the HR624 with their 6,7" woofers have a good bit more - and nicer - bass than my HS80M, while the rest of the sound seems quite similar to me). I just don't particularly like extreme generalized statements, especially if I don't understand them
    13,3" MacBookPro (Mid 2012) # 2x Technics 1210 # NI Audio 8 DJ # Ecler Nuo 2.0 # NI Traktor Kontrol X1 # Sennheiser HD-25
    http://soundcloud.com/vincent-lebaron/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast