Setup question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setup question

Tech Convert

Default Setup question

Hello,

I'm new to the DJ/music production field, and I've done a little research on what to buy, and there are two setups that I'm looking at:

(1) APC20 + Traktor Kontrol S2 (I saw this being sold recently as a combo)

or

(2) APC40 + M-Audio Axiom 25

Pros or cons on either setup?

Thanks.

Tech Mentor

The first one is more focused ondeejaying, but can Also be used (APC 20) be solid in DAW like ableton. The second one is more focused on production and (eventualy, but not for a beginner) cand be tweaked for djaying.
    Depends what you want to do...
    Just friday @ soundcloud| Samurai.fm | facebook
    Setup : Dual booted Alienware M11X : Ubuntu Studio : Mixxx 1.11 + ubuntustudio/Windows 7:Traktor pro 2+Reason
    Custom Mappings for this devices : Xone K2, Xone DB2, Technics mk2, Akai Ldp8, Midifighter Classic, Korg Nanokontrol 2, American Audio VMS4, Axiom 25, Kaossilator Pro

If you are just starting out, based off of your choices, here are the options I would recommend:
    1. DJing - just the S2. No need for the extra buttons and knobs of another controller. Learn the basics, and then add in depending on what you are looking to do.
    2. Production - APC20 and a keyboard is a great start, you have the keys to put your synths in, and all of the clip launching buttons on the apc20.

Pick one or the other as you are just starting out. Both DJing and production take up a lot of practice time each, and its better not to split that time up at the start. The good news is, it doesn't matter which one you start with, one will help you become better at the other.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Tech Convert

Thanks for the advice. Very very helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    If you are just starting out, based off of your choices, here are the options I would recommend:
    1. DJing - just the S2. No need for the extra buttons and knobs of another controller. Learn the basics, and then add in depending on what you are looking to do.
    2. Production - APC20 and a keyboard is a great start, you have the keys to put your synths in, and all of the clip launching buttons on the apc20.

Pick one or the other as you are just starting out. Both DJing and production take up a lot of practice time each, and its better not to split that time up at the start. The good news is, it doesn't matter which one you start with, one will help you become better at the other.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Im still extremly new to DJing and producing myself so take this for what its worth....

Choose your DAW/DJ program first THEN choose your controllers based off that.

Superdee - I would stay away from M-Audio. I have not had good experiences there. Additionally, APCs don't really have a lot of production applications. They're for performance - it's in the name!

Tech Convert

Thanks. I'm thinking of going with Ableton Live as my DAW...and read the APC20 or 40 are perfectly mapped for it. However, being a newbie I'm open to other ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by William Gibson View Post
    Im still extremly new to DJing and producing myself so take this for what its worth....

Choose your DAW/DJ program first THEN choose your controllers based off that.

Tech Convert

Thanks for the advice. I definitely want the keys and read good reviews on the Axiom 25. What would you recommend other than M-Audio?

Also, I see you've got a lot going on with your own setup. I'll (probably) go with Ableton Live as my DAW, so looking for a controller - hence the APC20 or 40. Do you recommend the Maschine MK2 for production applications? And you use your MK2 and APC40 together?

Quote Originally Posted by botstein View Post
    Superdee - I would stay away from M-Audio. I have not had good experiences there. Additionally, APCs don't really have a lot of production applications. They're for performance - it's in the name!

I recommend Novation's keyboards. They just announced a new one, which is cheap and worth checking out: http://us.novationmusic.com/midi-controllers/launchkey

Really, rather than a 25-key controller, I would highly recommend a 'master keyboard' situation - something with at least 49 full-size keys. If for some reason you have your heart set on that size, the little Novation keyboards are essentially exactly the same as their big brothers, just missing a few octaves of keys.

I love the Maschine (mk2 or otherwise, just not Mikro) for production and performance. Maschine and APC40 are great together inside of Ableton.

http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=48092

As for 'a lot going on with my own setup,' there's a lot to be said for minimalism. I'm just definitely not a minimalist. I'm looking at acquiring more controllers in the very near future.

I'm a bit in the same boat. I've chosen to start with a Maschine (which is not realy a full DAW). It is fun and easy to understand. It had me making beats in minutes. Also, its cheap, concidering you get hard AND software. Coughing up the ableton pricetag while not being sure I can/want to prduce did not make sense for me.
    IBM Thinkpad X41 - IBM Thinkpad T60p - Xone 4D - 2x SL1210 - Maschine mk2 white

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast