Beginner Sound Setup
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Beginner Sound Setup

Haven't done any DJ'ing in awhile, and when I did I just used a basic setup of 1 powered behringer speaker with my vci100 and audio2dj soundcard.

Im supposed to DJ 2 weddings this year and I need to get a real setup finally. I am a complete noob when it comes to anything sound/speaker related. I would like to get 2 speakers and a sub if possible, I thought about just getting a powered sub to add with the powered speaker I have, but I have no clue how all this would hookup to a soundcard with only 2 ports, as the speaker takes up 1 and headphones take up another.

Any advice would be appreciated on if I need a new soundcard, or what I need to power 2 speakers and a sub. Like I said I have no clue about any of this and its driving me crazy trying to look up stuff.

Edit: So i guess I could just add another powered speaker? Can I hook 2 up to the 1 port on a soundcard though

Thanks
    Last edited by dorkimoe; 01-21-2013 at 03:09 PM.

Tech Guru

I'd seriously consider adding a mixer to your setup. What happens if your computer fails? You will need extra inputs for a back up audio source until you can identify the root of the problem. You will most likely need a professional mic input source too for a wedding. A mixer will give you XLR outs which will minimise any noise interference too.
    “A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”

SSD Dual drive MBP, VCI100SE, 2 MF's, Audio 8, Echo Audiofire 2, 2x1200's, CDJ800s, Novation Twitch, XoneS2, X1, tons of PA Gear.

Tech Guru

Oh and 2 powered tops with one sub is probably the bare minimum needed PA wise. You may need more depending on venue size, amount of people attending etc.
    “A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”

SSD Dual drive MBP, VCI100SE, 2 MF's, Audio 8, Echo Audiofire 2, 2x1200's, CDJ800s, Novation Twitch, XoneS2, X1, tons of PA Gear.

Tech Wizard

They will be smaller venues, so pretty much I could get away with adding a mixer/1 more powered speaker and a sub?
    Thanks for your response!

You have any recomendations on mixers? Doesnt need to be fancy, just need it for the inputs like you said. And so do I still keep the soundcard between the mixer and my controller?

edit:
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-M...stomer-reviews
    this ok?

Tech Guru

I don't know the speakers you are using/intend to use so it's hard to say. You could use a desk or a DJ mixer depending on your preference. Yes you really only need some backup options but if you went the DJ mixer route you could route the Audio 2 to two separate channels and mix externally. It's really dependant on your preference. Soundcard routing would be usb out compuer to mixer then out to sub and using the xovers send to tops. If you want to send full range to tops then use another output from the mixer.

Tech Guru

Oh you will of course need some lighting too unless the venue has some already.

Tech Wizard

behringer eurolive b215d - this is the powered speaker i have already

i think ill make a trip over to guitar center this weekend, and see what i can get, mixer/sub/powered speaker. Lights too.

Tech Guru

Cool. Good luck.

Tech Wizard

Bumping instead of creating a new thread

Ok picked up this mixer
    WBk4Ofk.jpg
    and an alto sub

I have it setup without a soundcard, Laptop into the mixer as pictured above and then to the speaker and sub.

without the soundcard i dont know how to get my headphones working so i can cue up a track? I tried plugging in the soundcard and doing it that way, but either my bindings are all messed up or something is weird, it would control the speaker and not let me cue anything up?

any ideas?

weddings....

Cordless Mic
    2 Subs if in a church with like 250-400 people
    1 monitor, 3 speakers (powered or whatever) I like mackies and powered
    atleast 3 tripods, monitor can just be on a chair or whatever next to you
    Get an external sound card for your rig.. like an audio 6 or whatever

bring extra speaker wire and duct tape, duct tape down all the wires everywhere.. if its a wire, it needs to be taped.
    have a glass bowl for a tip jar, and dont neglect to get a song list from the bride

use craigslist, should only run you about 600 bucks or so... maybe 800 for quality basically new equipments

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast