Midifighter Spectra - Expansion mods like the Classics?
    Tech Mentor

Question Midifighter Spectra - Expansion mods like the Classics?

Congrats to DJTT on releasing a seemingly solid update to the Midifighter Classic. Well thought out and another step in the "timeless controller" direction without losing much of the customization from the Classic series.

One question/concern some may have is:

Can the MF Spectra be DIY expanded by adding 4 analog + 4 digital controls like the Classic models allowed?

Maybe DIY modding is dying out, or just not popular enough to worki into the design of this new MF, but its something I'd like to know.

Thanks!

I'm gonna say no since it doesn't appear that you can buy a DIY kit.
    MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core i7 :: Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.10.5
    Traktor Pro 2.9 :: Launchpad :: MIDI Fighter Pro Beatmasher/3D

Tech Wizard

no. I asked yesterday and they said it was removed.

Tech Mentor

Thats a real bummer.

Follow up question:

Is DIY dying?

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

We removed this feature from the Spectra, its design makes it less conducive to modding anyway.

However as some people have noted there is still a 10 Pin port near the microcontroller, this is a programming port we use when building the device, HOWEVER it also gives access to 7 IO on the microcontroller. Since the firmware can be programmed via USB a enterprising hacker could use this as an expansion port.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by midifidler View Post
    We removed this feature from the Spectra, its design makes it less conducive to modding anyway.

However as some people have noted there is still a 10 Pin port near the microcontroller, this is a programming port we use when building the device, HOWEVER it also gives access to 7 IO on the microcontroller. Since the firmware can be programmed via USB a enterprising hacker could use this as an expansion port.
    Thanks for the official info. I am just finishing up my custom Classic mod and was wondering if I could do the same to the Spectra.

I totally understand why the expansion ports were removed. And I really do like the new MF as an update to the Classic. But I'm seeing less and less DIY or customized gear out there.

Especially being NAMM week, its hard to notice electronic musicians and DJs who are making/using their own instruments when endless copycat low budget flimsy controllers flood the market year round.

In my opinion, one of the best features (and one of the most underused) was the expansion ports for adding custom controls. I'm glad that even though it would be a bit of a challenge, less straight forward than the Classic, the Spectra could potentially still be modded out.

DJTT Super Moderator midifidler's Avatar

@Mavis Concave

PM me if you are ever interested in modding a Spectra.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by midifidler View Post
    @Mavis Concave

PM me if you are ever interested in modding a Spectra.
    Will do. Thanks!