DJ in a restaurant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default DJ in a restaurant

Dear DJ Techtools,

I'm currently employed as manager in a restaurant and we want to have a DJ play after dinner every friday night. The restaurant has 2 levels (like a loft) so it's still one open room. We have 2 bigger speakers, in the corners of the ceiling, above the "1st" floor. These 2 speakers are connected to channel 1 on a Numark CM100 19"mixer. The speakers on the 2nd floor are mounted inside the ceiling. These are connected to channel 2. The music input is from a Xenox music computer (dutch brand, specially for the hospitality industry).

Now we want to be able to have a DJ play on the first floor, while keeping the "dinner" music going for the people on the second floor. Now we are not quite sure if the 2 bigger speakers on the first floor would clash with the music on the second floor, since these 2 bigger speakers do provide some volume along with the smaller ones on the first floor. Would there be a way to split the sound from the computer to the 2nd floor, and the DJs music to just the 2 bigger speakers for the first floor? If this is possible we could test if the different kinds of music will clash and if we should look for some smaller speakers for the DJ downstairs. We're looking to spend as little money as possible. Completely switching the music from the music computer to the DJ on both floors might be an option. But we're not sure yet if people appreciate the change during dinner. It's not going to be full on techno music, just some nice low profile deep-house/tech-house.

Thanks in regard,

Stan

I'd just lower the levels on the 1st floor speakers and have the same music throughout. It's hard to judge without hearing/seeing the space though.

Tech Convert

I'll post some pictures of the room tomorrow. Playing the same music throughout would be the cheapest solution. Maybe slowly building up to the change of music would do the trick. But I'm very curious if anyone knows another easy solution!

Tech Guru

Can't the DJ play some dinner music then switch it up when it's time? That would be the simplest solution.
    “A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”

SSD Dual drive MBP, VCI100SE, 2 MF's, Audio 8, Echo Audiofire 2, 2x1200's, CDJ800s, Novation Twitch, XoneS2, X1, tons of PA Gear.

Tech Convert

I'll be playing the music myself, but will be working during the dinner. The boss doesn't want to make any extra costs for hiring a DJ for the night..

Tech Guru

Ah ok.
    “A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians.”

SSD Dual drive MBP, VCI100SE, 2 MF's, Audio 8, Echo Audiofire 2, 2x1200's, CDJ800s, Novation Twitch, XoneS2, X1, tons of PA Gear.

Not sure if this is what you want but with a Denon MC-6000 you can have separate control over two rooms - you could even have a CD playing in one room while you mix in the other.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Tech Wizard

@Stan of course the boss doesn't want to have any extra costs associated with DJ. Why should he, it doesn't cost anything to DJ. Where is this place? I have been looking for someone to cook my food for me without any extra cost since I can just buy raw meat and vegetables at the grocery store cheaper and they already have stoves and ovens and people cutting food and salt and seasonings there.

Xpozur

Tech Wizard

I'm not trying to be a ass here, but I find the idea of having a playing DJ house music while I eat at a restaurant extremely irritating. When I go to a restaurant I want to chat with the people who I'm with, I don't care about music in this situation.

Like I said I an not trying to be an ass, I just think you should be aware people often think this way and you dont want to scare away customers.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Nakkanen View Post
    I'm not trying to be a ass here, but I find the idea of having a playing DJ house music while I eat at a restaurant extremely irritating. When I go to a restaurant I want to chat with the people who I'm with, I don't care about music in this situation.

Like I said I an not trying to be an ass, I just think you should be aware people often think this way and you dont want to scare away customers.
    That can be true. I a guess it depends on your market and the kind of place you want to run or if you have a major bar area

Real chilled deep house and more lounge style music is perfect as long as its not too loud for fine dining

On the flip side of this some restaurants are really all about noise with a lively atmosphere (hardrock cafe/steak houses's, bar/tapas restaurants etc) where loud music is a big part of the atmosphere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast