New set up ???s DJM850 VS DB:2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default New set up ???s DJM850 VS DB:2

Hello, so I'm contempalting a new rig and have a few questions I'd like some feed back on.

Firstly, is I'm thnking of heading down the CDJ/Mixer route. So what's the big deal?? Well I'm completely ignorant of the things(CDJs) since I started w/ Vinyl in 98 and right about when the cdjs came on the seen I checked out. Fast foreword to 2009 I decided to start playing again and picked up a VCI-100 and Traktor. I've had alot of fun playing house (west coast and chicago), and I have also picked up a few weddings and am planning on doing more. I also have a chance to play w/ some old friends at a club or two. Im thinking a pair of used CDJ 900s and a mixer DJM850 or DB:2. This would be perfect for club practice and also make my wedding gigs look and sound great. It would also let me dust of the old tt's and play some records.

This all sounds fine and good but its gonna cost me. Should I just wait for the new S4 and plug the tts into it? Seems a liitle cheesey to me... Or simply, what are the Pros and Cons of Mixer/TTs compared to Controler/TTs for one who who plays house music and hopefully high end weddings.

Which brings me to the second part of the debate. Traktor intagration. I see it w/ the controller and the 850 as everything covered but how would the DB:2 work w/ TSP? Why do I like the DB:2? I don't know exactly, I think for the money and my needs its the best mixer out there. Pioneer could be sweet too. If the DB:2 was scatch certified it would be a no brainer. Its got a sound card so I won't need an audio 6 or anything right?? I'll just be using midi vs. HID w/ traktor. Prolly not a big deal for a guy playing house and weddings??? Would I need an Audio 6 w/ the DJM 850 the tts to run Time code?

Looks like the 900s are signifantly better than the 850s Yes? Worth the money? Traktor? are the 850s scratch certified??

I got some money and want some nice gear but don't want to over spend. If there is anything else i'm missing feel free. School is now in session.

Thanks! DJTT

hey there,

I would definately go cdj 900/2000 over 850 if i were able to because they have pro link (you can store all your files on a 3,5 inch 500gb drive and plug it in 1 of the players but play the files on both players).

This u cant do with the 850.
    djm 850 is in my opinion good value for the money and it is traktor scratch certified which the db2 isnt so if your going to use traktor the 850 is definately better.
    if your going to use mainly traktor i would go for cdj 850 + djm 850. If u are not going to use traktor i would go for cdj 900 and either djm 850 or db2.
    If you want a good setup but dont want to involve a computor i recommend cdj 2000 and djm 900 nexus because they integrate very well with beat effects, and info thruugh the players via pro dj link.

So it just boils down how you are going to use them!

You don't need the djm850 if your going to use Traktor.

You can plug the 900's straight in (i think, the 2000's definitely) and not need to use Scratch/Timecodes and can use any mixer.

EDIT:

Yes 900's can just use HID

Traktor S4 | Midifighter Classic | 2x CDJ 2000| Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 | Ableton Live 8 | 2012 Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 8GB | Krk RP5

Tech Guru

The DJM 850 is Scratch Certified so you wouldn't need an Audio 6 for using turntable timecode.

The CDJ 850s are not compatible with Traktor using Advanced HID, only the CDJ 900/2000 are.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Yeah, i just didn't get this line.

"if your going to use mainly traktor i would go for cdj 850 + djm 850."

Surely if your going to mainly use traktor get CDJ 900's as timecode will never be as accurate as HID and you will loose things like the looping?
    Traktor S4 | Midifighter Classic | 2x CDJ 2000| Traktor Scratch Pro 2.5 | Ableton Live 8 | 2012 Macbook Pro 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 8GB | Krk RP5

if you get the 900's you dont really need traktor just use Rekord box...

Tech Mentor

Is the reason for using Traktor not for Timecodes though?

Anyway, CDJ 900's for definite. Their HID support with Traktor and, more importantly, Pro DJ link with Rekordbox means they are way ahead of the CDJ 850. I am currently holding off buying the 900's myself to see if there will be a CDJ 900 Nexus release coming soon. I had the CDJ 350's, as, like you, I was coming back into DJ-ing after a LONG absence from it. I don't regret getting the players, as I didn't want to shell out so much money on top gear to find I wasn't getting back into it. But I did feel they were lacking the features you can only get with the 900 as a minimum.

As for the mixer. I was in almost the same situation there too. I sold my DJM 800 to get the 900. Then when I went to physically look at the mixers, I realised there just wasn't enough of an upgrade in that. Not for the extra money involved. The shop I went to had the DB2 set-up, and I was VERY impressed. For a lot less money than the 900, it seemed to be way ahead in terms of features and effects.

I went home and did some research. Ended up blowing the budget completely and getting a DB4 instead. I do not regret it for a second. By far the best DJ related purchase I have ever made. Wouldn't swap it for a DJM 900 if you paid me. Not for any Pioneer mixer.

Okay, neither the DB4 or DB2 are scratch certified. This is true. However there are ways around this, and I have been successfully running TSP 2.6 using timecoded vinyl through the DB4 soundcard for a few months now without a glitch. It is worth noting that this isn't the most "legal" way to do it, however, I have purchased a TSP license, so they still have my money. I just wish they wouldn't force me down the route I have had to take in order to do what the hardware and software are clearly capable of doing.

As you will be going timecodes anyway, it might be worth getting just the mixer just now, and running the TT's with timecodes. You may find this is enough for you. I certainly don't feel I NEED the CDJ 900's, as I have 4 x 1210's running timecode, and a Reloop controller for transport functions. But I do WANT the 900's (or 2000's) just because thats the way I'm built, lol. But I do VERY much enjoy the feel of playing my tunes on TT's. It feels just like the old days.
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

Tech Convert

Thanks for the thoughts everyone! So it sounds like the 900's are the way to go as far as CDJs are conserned. Also sounds like the DJM 850/900 would serve all my needs well. However, I am very intrigued w/ the idea of using the DB:2 w/ my TTs to run Traktor... Mr. xs seems to be on to something. Could I do this easily this with a Tsi for the DB:2 or is it more involved??? I don't I have the ability or deisre to map it myself but if there is something I could download I think I would be a happy boy. Any other ideas for using the DB:2 w/ software?? I know the CDJ 900s have sound cards as well. Is there a work around to the lack of certification for the DB there?

Alright alright. I think im missing thr boat here w/ the whole external mix3r traktor setup. so traktor is just for your music, the mixing done in your high dollar mixer. slim line controler for transport and the like unlees paired w/ cdj 900. with the cdj 900, HID controls of the deck controls but we are still using external mixer to "mix". I get it I think.

I thought this was going to be easy...

so w/ the djm850 being scratch certified plugged into your laptop. Is that internal mixing or external or what ever you want?
    Last edited by porkchop; 01-21-2013 at 10:43 PM.

Tech Mentor

The DJM 850 route (as all the routes you are looking at), is external mixing mode.

You are correct, the CDJ's are acting only as controllers in this arrangement. Something that realistically could be done with the NI X1 rather than expensive CDJ's in all reality. I could be doing this with my reloop controller instead of the 1210's (the reloop also has a wee jog wheel), but it really isn't the same feel.

No tsi for DB2 in traktor required. I have PM'd you But you dont need timecodes or scratch certification for using newer CDJ's. They have tsi files that allow them to be used as controllers, and are essentially just plug and play (with a few setting adjustments).
    Technics 1210 mk2's, Pioneer CDJ 500, Allen & Heath DB4, NI F1's (x2), Reloop Contour Controller Edition, Sennheiser HD25 1-II or Allen & Heath XD2-53's depending on my mood...

Mixcloud : xs2man - Latest Mix: Latest Mix 13-10-2016

Tech Mentor

Yeah man... if you are getting CDJ-900's, just ignore the whole "Traktor Scratch" thing. You don't need Traktor Scratch Pro or timecode CD's if you run the CDJ's in HID mode. So getting a Traktor Scratch certified mixer is pointless.

CDJ-900's and any mixer will work just fine.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | (2) Pioneer CDJ-2000 | Traktor Kontrol X1 | Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6
    MacBook Pro | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | (2) EV ELX115P | EV ELX112P | (2) EV ELX118P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast